This lighthouse also has the distinction of being the easternmost light in the United States, standing on the easternmost point of land in the United States. Today a National Historic Site, the station is still active, with the light still shining out to sea to warn seafarers of the dangers nearby. The rest of the site, though, has become a visitor centre, operated by the
West Quoddy Head Light Station
West Quoddy Head Light Station, first authorized in 1808 and rebuilt in 1858, is one of the earliest such installations on the Maine coast and the first east of Penobscot Bay. It is also distinguished as the easternmost light in the United States. In 1869 a steam operated horn was installed to replace the old fog bell. West Quoddy was one of the first two stations in the country to be so equipped.
West Quoddy Head Light Station dating from 1808 and 1858, is an early and well-preserved example of the form in brick. Two principal structures are present, the lighthouse and the keeper's quarters.
The lighthouse consists of a circular tower 49 feet tall above the ground and narrower at the top than at the base. Above this the light proper, with an 18-mile maximum range, rises 83 feet above the water. At the top of the tower is an iron railing and slightly projecting walkway, and there is a similar feature at the level of the light. The most distinctive aspect of the lighthouse tower are the alternating red and white horizontal bands. A covered brick entry and
attached frame entry are both covered by gabled roofs.
Picturesquely sited with a magnificent view across Quoddy Roads to the palisades of Grand Manan Island, West Quoddy Head Light with its red and white stripes is an internationally known landmark and a favorite tourist attraction.
From the NRHP Nomination Form