Shelbyville A. T. - Pelham, AL
N 33° 17.234 W 086° 48.652
16S E 517610 N 3683146
Quick Description: Shelbyville A. T. (Alabama Teritory) was the first county seat of Shelby County.
Location: Alabama, United States
Date Posted: 5/18/2012 7:48:29 PM
Waymark Code: WMEETW
Shelby County was created by an act of the Alabama Territorial General Assembly on February 7, 1818, from former Creek Indian territory ceded in the Treaty of Fort Jackson on August 9, 1814. According to the Alabama Department of Archives and History website the county was named for the governor of Kentucky, not Tennesee as the marker states.
The marker is located in front of the Pelham City Hall on US Hwy 31. The marker was placed by the Alabama Historical Association.