St James - Sutton Cheney, Leicestershire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 36.025 W 001° 23.195
30U E 609270 N 5829044
Quick Description: St James' Church, Sutton Cheney, dates back to the 14th century. It is believed that Richard III attended Mass here for the last time in 1485 before the Battle of Bosworth.
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 1/18/2019 12:28:30 PM
Waymark Code: WMZXDP
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 0

Long Description:
"St James' Church dates back to the 14th century. It is believed that Richard III attended Mass here for the last time in 1485 before the Battle of Bosworth.

On Sunday 22 March 2015, the funeral cortège of King Richard III paused in Sutton Cheney en route to his burial in Leicester Cathedral."

SOURCE - (visit link)

"This pretty village has a population of around 550 and is 14 miles west of Leicester and very near to the Battle of Bosworth which occurred in 1485.
Before and after the Norman Conquest the major part of the manor (including a windmill) was owned by the Abbey of Croyland in Lincolnshire. A later rich tenant farmer named Chainell looked after the Abbeys land and this gave rise eventually to its modern name of Sutton Cheney.
By 1279 the village had three distinct manors of Verdon (Theobald de Verdon), Hastings (John Hastings) and Croyland. The Hastings manor passed to a Gilbert de Houby in 1292. By 1564 there were 25 families living at Sutton Cheynell, an Elizabeth Beler, daughter and heir of Anthony Houby, was married to James Beler of Kettleby. In 1630 the freeholders were William Roberts (knight), Richard May, William Drakeley and John Swinfen. Sir William Roberts had a manor house at Sutton and he founded a hospital for six poor people and endowed it with 30 pounds a year. The charitable building built of stone is still there today to the east of the church as a pretty private dwelling.

In the Civil War the Roberts family supported the Royalist cause and experienced some harassment by the Parliamentarian Sequestrators and had to pay them a sum of 780/ shillings.
“Sept. 3, 1646. Resolved. That this House doth accept of the sum of 780/. of William Roberts the younger, of Sutton Cheney in the county of Leicester, gentleman, for a fine for his delinquency. His offence is, leaving his own house, and residing in the enemy’s garrisons. An Ordinance for granting a pardon unto William Roberts the younger, of Sutton Cheney in the county of Leicester, gentleman, for his delinquency, was this day read; and, upon the question, passed; and ordered to be sent unto the Lords for their concurrence.”

The church of St James mostly dates from the 14th century and probably replaces an earlier church on the site. The church consists of a low west tower, nave, chancel and south chapel. The circular arcade dates to the 13th century, the low west tower has a brick upper stage which was rebuilt in the early 19th century. The font is probably 14th century.
There is a monument to William Roberts who died in 1633 a recumbent alabaster effigy. He lies in armour with his two wives, one kneeling at his feet. The inscription reads; “here lyeth interred the body of Sir William Roberts, who in his life-time, being devoted both to hospitality and charity, among other memorable works erected, out of a pious mind, a hospital for six poor men adjoining the churchyard and endowed it with 30 pounds worth of land yearly for their maintenance for ever”.
On the other side it reads, “Sir William Roberts was son of Thomas Roberts and married to his first wife Katherine, daughter of Richard Elkington, and to his second wife Elizabeth, daughter of Valentine Hartopp; but by neither had issue. He lived 79 years and died Feb 24 1633.”
The tomb seems to have suffered some damage but is still an interesting piece.

The church has been restored but it still has enough items of interest to make it worth a visit. It has some box pews and of course the tradition that Richard III heard his last Mass in this church. The Richard III Society holds a commemorative service here each year on the Sunday closest to the anniversary of the battle. Many of the needlepoint kneelers in the church are the work of members of the Richard III Society, in England and abroad."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.