First Baptist Church - Carrollton, GA
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 33° 34.774 W 085° 04.328
16S E 678919 N 3717206
Quick Description: Forced to move when the railroad came through their property.
Location: Georgia, United States
Date Posted: 12/30/2018 9:54:14 AM
Waymark Code: WMZRW3
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member jhuoni
Views: 1

Long Description:

County of church: Carroll County
Location of church: Dixie St. & Newnan St., Carrollton
Built: October 1, 1907
Constituted: October 9, 1842
Phone: (770) 832-6359
Architectural Style: Romanesque Revival

"The First Baptist Church is located in the northeast portion of the district. Constructed in 1907 and designed by W.F. New, the brick church is an excellent example of the Romanesque Revival style. The building features a prominent square entry tower. Common characteristics of the Romanesque Revival style featured on the building include rounded-arch openings and rusticated stonework.

"Early churches met in the town's courthouse and other available buildings. ... The Baptists of Carrollton met in a number of available buildings until 1851, when they built a church on Bradley Street where the railroad now crosses it. The First Baptist Church of Carrollton was forced to move to its current location at the corner of Dixie Street and Newnan Street when the railroad came in the 1874. The current brick church on that site was constructed in 1908.

" ... The First Baptist Church, with its distinctive bell tower, was constructed by W.F. New and completed in 1907, replacing a wooden building on the same site. The building was dedicated in 1909 after the organ was installed. It is located at 102 Dixie Street at the corner of Newnan Street. Both the Presbyterian and Baptist churches reflect the Romanesque architectural style that was popular for churches at the time. ... " ~ NRHP Nomination Form, pages 7, 14, & 20


"First Baptist Church can trace its history back to the establishment of the Upper Tallapoosa Baptist Church in 1847. In 1875, the present site of the church at the corner of Dixie and Newnan Streets was built as a frame structure that was replaced by the brick building presently used as the Sanctuary in 1908. Many additions since include the first education building (the Annex) in 1928, the Benson Building in 1954, and Burns Hall in 1981. Renovations and updates to Burns Hall and the Benson Building with the Vision 2000 campaign provided better children’s ministry areas and handicapped access to Sunday school classes and the sanctuary. The latest renovation refreshed the Sanctuary and expanded the organ with the Praise/Faith Campaign of 2003.

"Outreach projects of the First Baptist Church over the years have included helping establish First Baptist Church of Carrollton on Old Bremen Road in 1873 and the Carrollton Baptist Association in 1874. We created the first Sunday school in Carroll County in 1878 and formed the Women’s Missionary Union in 1890. With additions to our ministry such as The Place, our youth ministry center on S. White St., Open Hands United Christian Ministry on Newnan St., the addition of a second morning worship service in 2001, and yearly mission trips within the United States and in foreign countries, we hope to continue to expand and move forward on our goal to be “Caring People Sharing God’s Love”." ~ First Baptist Church, Our History

Public/Private: Public

Tours Available?: Probably

Year Built: 1907

Web Address: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:

Category Visiting Requirements


An original photo is necessary to log a visit in this category along with a description of the visit. No extra visit requirements are allowed by the waymarker.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Victorian Style Architecture
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.