St Peter - Ashby Parva, Leicestershire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 29.586 W 001° 13.638
30U E 620350 N 5817361
Quick Description: Parish church of St Peter, Ashby Parva.
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 12/20/2018 1:00:00 PM
Waymark Code: WMZQ6Q
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 1

Long Description:
"The church Is dedicated to St Peter. The Patronage was in the hands of the Order of St John of Jerusalem as early as 1220, and so continued until 1556 when it passed to the Crown.

The church possibly originated in the 12th century and was rebuilt in the 14th century. The nave appears to have been built out in the 14th century, leaving the chancel off-centre.

In 1866 there was a major restoration, with the chancel and porch rebuilt in the Decorated style (characterised by window tracery, stone mullions and vaulting). The nave was restored and the fine Perpendicular roof (timber roof made ornamental with framing exposed to view) was renewed. The tower was restored in 1889.

More recently, in 2008, the church was re-ordered and the font was relocated near the door, where it stood in Victorian times. Two pews were removed to give space around the font.

The church is built of rubble stone and ashlar, and the quoins (the edges) are sandstone. The church is Listed Grade |l*.

A WALK AROUND THE CHURCH
As you walk round, notice the very fine timber roof to the chancel and nave. Starting at the main entrance and turning left, the first item of interest on the left is the stone staircase set in the north Wall. In Pre-Reformation times, there was a Rood-loft (gallery for displaying the Cross and for reading the Gospel) and the worn steps testify to their long usage.

The carved oak screen was erected to the memory of Dulcibella Sidgwick, wife of a former rector who died In 1906.

Up the steps into the chancel, a tapestry of the Last Supper can be seen on the north wall. It was donated in memory of Peter Bennett.

The altar is made from wood, and is beautiful in its simplicity. In 1777, Elizabeth, the wife of the Rector John Rowton, and daughter of a former Rector, was buried in a vault within the rails of the altar. The stained glass east window was inserted in 1892 in memory of John Winifred Ley who died in 1883 aged nine, a child of a former rector. The marble reredos (the screen at the back of the altar) was erected to the memory of John Boucher Wrey who died in 1868, a child of the then rector.

The small white marble sculptural relief of The Holy Family Under a Tree, is 18th century and is perhaps North Italian. A List of Rectors goes back to the 14th century.

Descending the steps, and looking to the left, the pulpit is 19th century. The stained glass window in the south wall is to the memory of Mabel Paton Goodacre who died in 1941, the wife of Hugh Goodacre of Ullesthorpe Court. it is based on the opening lines of a Hymn for a Boy Scout written by Hugh Goodacre when he was Scout Commissioner for Leicestershire. The window is by G Maile & Sons of London. A former door can be seen in the south wall, near a wall mounted timber War Memorial to those who lost their lives in the Great War.

In the tower, the stained glass window in the west wall is to the memory of William Simons who died in 1865. it is dated 1866 and is by Lavers and Barraud who were part of the Gothic Revival movement that affected church architecture in the 19th century.

The church has three bells, the oldest inscribed “Serve the Lord 1591”; the second “Be yt knowne to all that doth see mee that Newcombe of Leicester made mee, 1605"; and the third “Newcombe of Leicester made mee, 1607”. The tower is accessed by a ladder formed from a single plank of timber with narrow footholds cut in it, rising to the bell chamber.

There are three plaques; one to Francis Duckett; and one of Benefactions belonging to the poor of the Parish. The interest is to be distributed annually at Christmas and bread distributed annually at Whitsuntide. This still continues today, and money is given out at Christmas. The third commemorates the grant towards reseating and restoring the church in 1866 by the incorporated Society for Building of Churches. Twenty one additional seats were provided.

Back in the nave, there is a gargoyle displayed on the wall. The font is 12th century and has a Norman hemispherical bowl on a 19th century octagonal base, with a kneeling step. There is also a cover. A stone monument to John Sturges Lievre, a former rector, who died in 1864 is on the wall."

SOURCE - church pamphlet
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.