Abbey Gate - Vine Street - Evesham, Worcestershire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 05.480 W 001° 56.925
30U E 572021 N 5771717
Quick Description: A blue plaque marking the site of the Grand Gatehouse to Evesham Abbey, incorporated into these buildings on Merstow Green, Evesham.
Location: West Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 11/26/2018 11:26:38 AM
Waymark Code: WMZKTW
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 0

Long Description:
A blue plaque marking the site of the Grand Gatehouse to Evesham Abbey, incorporated into these buildings on Merstow Green, Evesham.

"MERSTOW GREEN 1. 5249 (East Side) Nos 53 and 54 incorporating Remains of Abbey Gate (Abbey Gate House) SP 0343 NE 1/15 7.5.52. I GV 2. 1711. Fine L-shaped house which incorporates the remains of the early C14 Abbey Gate, or Great Gate, built by Abbot Chyryton. House of stone and rubble; 2 storeys; 6 rush windows; 2 later C18 doorways with fanlights, 3/4 fluted Doric columns and cornices; wood modillion eaves cornice; hipped tile roof. Good moulded lead rainwater head on east side (of No 54), which is largely of medieval origin and has numerous blocked openings including large semi-circular arches, that at rear of No 53 being part of Abbey Gate and incorporating one original jamb. Interior: No 54 largely altered, but No 53 has late C17 staircase and panelling. Bay on right-hand side projecting towards Merstow Green has a modern upper storey built above the gateway passage with an archway on north return side. To south of this bay, adjoining the Abbey Stables (qv) is the remains of a vaulted passage of early C14.

Nos 53 and 54 incorporating Remains of Abbey Gate, Gate and railings of No 53, Remains of Abbey Stables, the Almonry and The Stocks, together with No 1 and No 3 and Remains of south wall of Abbey Precinct, Little Abbey Lane, form a group with Church of All Saints, Church of St Lawrence, The Bell Tower, Abbot Reginald's Wall and The Porter's Lodge, Remains of west wall of North Transept of Abbey, Archway to south of the Remains of the west wall of the North Transept of Abbey, Abbot Reginald's Gateway and The Old Vicarage, the Public Library, Nos 6 and 6A, Nos 7 and 8 and Walker Hall, Market Place."

SOURCE - (visit link)

The plaque reads -
Site
of
Grand Gatehouse
to
Evesham Abbey
built by
William de Chyryton
Abbot 1316 - 1344
Blue Plaque managing agency: Vale of Evesham Civic Society / Wychavon District Council

Individual Recognized: Abbey Grand Gatehouse

Physical Address:
53 & 54 Merstow Green
Evesham, Worcestershire England


Web Address: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log an entry for a "Blue Plaque," please try to include a picture of you next to the plaque!
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Blue Plaques
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.