Moulin de l'abbaye de Villers - Villers-la-Ville - Belgique
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member PaulLassiter
N 50° 35.340 E 004° 31.778
31U E 608276 N 5605237
Quick Description: [FR] Ancien moulin-boulangerie de l'abbaye construit au 13è siècle. [EN] Former mill-bakery of the abbey built in the 13th century
Location: Brabant wallon, Belgium
Date Posted: 10/31/2018 1:47:00 AM
Waymark Code: WMZEV1
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member jotheonly
Views: 0

Long Description:
[FR]

"Le moulin abbatial de Villers-la-Ville date des XIIe et XIIIe siècles mais les façades ont été fortement remaniées depuis le XVIIe siècle, en particulier au XIXe siècle où elles ont été rehaussées.

En 1645, le moulin est partiellement détruit par un terrible orage qui entraîne de nombreux dégâts aux autres bâtiments de l'abbaye (cloître, muraille...).

En 1797, le domaine abbatial (30 ha) est vendu en trois lots: l'abbaye, le moulin et la ferme.

Le moulin et les ruines de l'abbaye sont expropriés par l’État belge en 1892, des restaurations y sont menées et les ruines sont ouvertes à la visite.

L'aile nord de l’ancien moulin est devenue un restaurant après un incendie survenu en 1953.

En 2014, des travaux ont lieu afin d'aménager dans l'aile sud du moulin un « Centre du visiteur » des ruines de l'abbaye. Ces travaux, cofinancés par la région Wallonne et le Fonds Européen de Développement Régional (FEDER), vont de pair avec un aménagement paysager des abords en vue de leur valorisation touristique. Depuis ce Centre, une passerelle conduira à partir de 2015 les visiteurs sur la colline située derrière la chapelle Saint-Bernard d'où ils auront une vue globale sur l'abbaye, avant de rejoindre celles-ci par une autre passerelle située au niveau des arcades de l'ancienne pharmacie de l'Abbaye de Villers-la-Ville accidentées en novembre 2013.

Par ailleurs, une roue à aubes est installée en 2017 sur la Thyle à l'arrière du moulin pour produire de l'électricité."

[EN]

"The abbey mill of Villers-la-Ville dates from the twelfth and thirteenth centuries, but the facades have undergone major changes since the seventeenth century, especially in the nineteenth century when they were enhanced.

In 1645, the mill was partially destroyed by a terrible storm that caused many damage to other buildings of the abbey (cloister, wall ...).

In 1797, the abbey estate (30 ha) is sold in three lots: the abbey, the mill and the farm.

The mill and the ruins of the abbey are expropriated by the Belgian State in 1892, restorations are carried out and the ruins are open to visitors.

The north wing of the old mill became a restaurant after a fire in 1953.

In 2014, work is taking place to develop a "Visitor Center" in the south wing of the mill, in the ruins of the abbey. These works, co-financed by the Walloon Region and the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), go hand-in-hand with landscaping of the surrounding areas in view of their tourism development. From this center, a footbridge will lead from 2015 visitors on the hill behind the chapel of Saint-Bernard where they will have a global view of the abbey, before joining them by another bridge located at the level of arcades of the old pharmacy of the abbey of Villers-la-Ville crashed in November 2013.

In addition, a water wheel is installed in 2017 on the Thyle river at the back of the mill to produce electricity."

Source:
(visit link)
(visit link)
Current Status: Still In Use

Current Use: Visitor center in the south wing, temporary exhibition rooms and restaurant in the cellars

Visit Instructions:
Provide a picture of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Water Mills
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.