Nelson School Bell Cairn - Lacombe, AB
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member T0SHEA
N 52° 27.805 W 113° 44.035
12U E 314277 N 5816098
Quick Description: In Lest We Forget Park in downtown Lacombe is a cairn which marks the location of the old Nelson School, built in 1907 and demolished in 1957.
Location: Alberta, Canada
Date Posted: 8/23/2018 1:12:49 PM
Waymark Code: WMZ11G
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member GeoKs
Views: 2

Long Description:
Nelson School itself carries on in the form of a new, replacement school, built in 1958 and extended in 1981. The cairn, placed in 1979, was built to carry the original bell from the Nelson School, under which was mounted a granite plaque, which reads:

NELSON
SCHOOL BELL
Which was part of the original school constructed in 1907, opened in 1908 and demolished in 1957.
The bell was placed on the original site and dedicated by the teachers and alumni of the Nelson School Reunion of July 22, 1979.

Later, in 1996, a time capsule, containing memorabilia from the old Nelson School, was buried at the cairn. Text from that plaque follows.

Memorabilia of the first Nelson School was placed
here on July 27, 1996
To be opened in the year "2046"

NELSON SCHOOL BELL CAIRN

Bell 1908; Cairn 1979
Historic Site #15479

This bell was part of the original Nelson School, which was built in the Town of Lacombe in 1907; it was designed by Lacombe architect Thomas Clark King, who also designed St. Cyprian’s Anglican Church. Nelson School was the first major structure to be built from the product of the fledgling Lacombe Brick, Tile and Cement Company. Frank Vickerson was a principal of this company and the clay was provided from his farm located at the eastern boundary of the town. In June 1909, Lacombe’s Western Globe reported that the company had been awarded a contract to supply a quarter-million bricks for the construction of government buildings in Ponoka.

The School opened its doors to the children of the area in 1908 and remained a significant part of life in Lacombe for close to 50 years before it was torn down in 1957. The bell, originally located in the bell tower of the brick school, has been mounted in a memorial cairn. The inscription on the cairn reads that the Nelson School Bell “was placed on the original site and dedicated by the teachers and alumni of the Nelson School Reunion of July 22, 1979”.
From the Lacombe Municipal Heritage Survey


Photo goes Here

Type of Marker: Cultural

Sign Age: Historic Site or Building Marker

Parking: Street parking is available on the block

Placement agency: Town of Lacombe

Visit Instructions:
When entering a new log for visiting a waymark please provide a picture of your visit to the location and if you have an interesting alternate area or sign photo include that.

Please include any thoughts or historic information about the area that the marker may represent.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Alberta Heritage Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.