St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church - Lacombe, AB
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member T0SHEA
N 52° 27.887 W 113° 44.113
12U E 314195 N 5816253
Quick Description: Built by the Presbyterians in 1908-09, St. Andrew's was dedicated on January 31, 1909.
Location: Alberta, Canada
Date Posted: 8/18/2018 2:01:37 PM
Waymark Code: WMZ04X
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member GeoKs
Views: 2

Long Description:
Since 1925, with Church Union in Canada, the brick building has served as a United Church. As built, the church cost $12,315.93 in 1909 dollars. In 1920 the church built a manse, which was several blocks away, It followed the church in 1925, becoming the United Church manse.

The second building to serve the Presbyterians of Lacombe, the first was a wood frame building erected in 1902. While vintage photos show that the exterior has been changed by the addition of a transept and the addition of a narthex to the side of the bell tower/steeple, the basic plan of the church remains unaltered. The brick corner tower stands beside a gable roof and ends in a hipped roof, into which is set an octagonal belfry. Originally open on all sides, the rectangular openings have since been filled with slatted vent covers with Roman arched tops, now hiding the large bell which was once quite visible. Atop the belfry is a very tall, slim octagonal spire with a finial and ball at its upper end.

ST. ANDREW’S PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH

Lacombe’s Presbyterian congregation was founded in November 1892. In February of 1895, the congregation decided in favour of building a church and selected the name “St. Andrew’s,” and subscribed $450 in cash and $75 in labour. Land at the corner of Barnett Avenue and 51 Street were acquired from Ed Barnett, and a frame building 26 feet by 38 feet was erected. David M. Cannon, D.C. Gourlay and Robert McNaughton, along with superintendent Sam Watt, had the building ready for the opening service on October 11, 1895. Late in 1902, lots were purchased on 53 Street and subscriptions were solicited for a manse.

Many new settlers arrived in 1906-07, and the church proved to be too small. The property was sold in 1908 and a new property acquired at the corner of 53 Street and 51 Avenue. The current brick church, which cost $12,315.93, was constructed by local contractor G.P. Vickers; the new church was dedicated on January 31, 1909. Since 1925, it has served a United Church congregation.
From the Lacombe Municipal Heritage Survey


Photo goes Here Photo goes Here
Photo goes Here Photo goes Here
Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

Type of Marker: Cultural

Sign Age: Historic Site or Building Marker

Parking: Street parking is available on the block

Placement agency: Town of Lacombe

Visit Instructions:
When entering a new log for visiting a waymark please provide a picture of your visit to the location and if you have an interesting alternate area or sign photo include that.

Please include any thoughts or historic information about the area that the marker may represent.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Alberta Heritage Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.