Granis Harness and Saddlery Building - Downtown Waterville Historic District - Waterville, WA
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member T0SHEA
N 47° 38.835 W 120° 04.325
10T E 719885 N 5281247
Quick Description: The Granis Harness and Saddlery Building is one of several brick buildings which appeared during the local building boom of 1902-03.
Location: Washington, United States
Date Posted: 6/16/2018 1:47:11 PM
Waymark Code: WMYHAN
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher
Views: 0

Long Description:
The Downtown Waterville Historic District encompasses all of one block of Locust Street plus the west end of a second block and a few buildings along North and South Chelan Avenue. In all there are 17 contributing and 2 non contributing buildings in the district. All buildings are of brick, save for the Centennial Feed Building, a single storey wood framed building on the west side of North Chelan. The brick for the district was manufactured locally in brick yards, first established in 1889. The oldest structure in the district, on the northeast corner of Locust Street and Chelan Avenue, is the First National Bank/Kincaid/IOOF Block, constructed in 1891.

Further construction in the district was delayed for a decade, at which time several brick buildings were erected simultaneously, the Granis Harness and Saddlery Building being one. I was built to exactly match the Fair Store to the east, the two appearing as one. Originally at 104 West Locust, the address has since been changed to 102½.

The building seems to have been vacant when we visited, probably temporarily. It appears that the storefront has been re-renovated back to a semblance of its original appearance, with iron pilasters supporting the iron lintel.

Granis Harness and Saddlery

Building #4; Granis Harness and Saddlery Building

Address: 104 West Locust Street
Classification: Contributing
Date of Construction: 1902-03

Description: Built to harmonize with the Fair Store (with which it shares a party wall), the Granis Building is a one story brick structure which measures 24 feet wide and 75 feet deep. The broad storefront is framed by brick piers and surmounted by a brick frieze, corbelled cornice, and parapet. The original iron storefront lintel and transom windows are visible; the remainder of the storefront has been altered.

History: The Granis harness shop originally occupied this building (although it later located in the Waterville Hardware building). Fire insurance maps indicate that a restaurant was located here in 1922. In constructing the brick block, Granis anticipated that insurance rates on his new structure would be considerably lower than the rates on his old frame building. Granis was a leading citizen and a merchant who at one time served as city fire chief.
From the NRHP Registration Form


Photo goes Here

Name of Historic District (as listed on the NRHP): Downtown Waterville Historic District

Link to nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com page with the Historic District: [Web Link]

NRHP Historic District Waymark (Optional): [Web Link]

Address:
102½ Locust Street Waterville, WA United States 98858


How did you determine the building to be a contributing structure?: Narrative found on the internet (Link provided below)

Optional link to narrative or database: [Web Link]

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest NRHP Historic Districts - Contributing Buildings
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.