Earth Barracks - Landsberg am Lech, Bavaria, Germany
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Trail Blaisers
N 48° 01.841 E 010° 51.147
32U E 638099 N 5321370
Quick Description: 55 earth homes were built for the most grotesque of uses - the housing of Jewish prisoners. // 55 Erdhäuser wurden für die groteskste Nutzung gebaut - die Unterbringung von jüdischen Gefangenen.
Location: Bayern, Germany
Date Posted: 6/16/2018 6:31:51 AM
Waymark Code: WMYH7A
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Marine Biologist
Views: 2

Long Description:
After the construction of the concentration camp Kaufering VII by the organization Todt (OT) it was taken over by the SS in September 1944 and the first prisoners arrived in the Kaufering VII camp. In 55 earth huts and six clay tube buildings, up to 2,000 men and 272 women were accommodated in separate quarters.

The internees of this camp were survivors of the concentration camp Auschwitz, different ghettos in Lithuania and the ghetto in Warsaw. They were Jews from all European countries.

Irrespective of their age and gender, the prisoners were forced to perform construction work on the bunker, but also at adjoining sites, such as the precast concrete plant Held & Francke (Codename Erich) and on a segment of the railway line.

ln January 1945, Kaufering VII was turned into an infirmary camp. The SS transferred prisoners who were frail, ill, or no longer capable of work from the other camps of the Kaufering complex. Care for the sick was not an option and so the number of dead rose dramatically. The camp was placed under quarantine because of a typhus epidemic. Around 2,000 dead from Kaufering VII were buried in mass graves nearby.

At the end of April 1945, the SS evacuated the camp as Allied troops approached. With crude violence the SS forced thousands of prisoners on a death march to Dachau, Allach, an then southward.

After the war, German expellees and refugees from the East were quartered in the SS barracks and in some clay tube buildings. They lived here until the middle of the 1960s.

At the entrance is an information board that shows the historical context of the camp in the entire concentration camp command. A historic tipping lore stands as a symbol of the dehumanizing work that the Jewish prisoners had to perform as slaves.

The preservation of the three intact barracks was funded by the Bavarian State Ministry of Education and Culture, Science and Art. During the conservation work signatures of Jewish inmates were discovered.

At the conclusion of the conservation work on the former concentration camp Kaufering VII, the Bavarian Chamber of Engineers and the Bavarian State Office for the Preservation of Monuments praised the commitment of the European Holocaust Memorial Foundation to earn Gold in the Bavarian Historic Preservation Prize. The jury's reasoning: "The price-worthiness of this monument is particularly due to the efforts to give a significant document of a concentration camp external camp as unchanged as possible a future.The solution found, which sometimes secure defective Tohnröhren only from the outside, is to be emphasized The process of preserving the sound tubes and coordinating all the measures between the planners and the restorer is an outstanding achievement."
Building options: Public building

Visit Instructions:

Please describe your visit, and it would be great if you could post any photos that you have taken. Have fun!

Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Earth Homes
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.