First National Bank/Kincaid/IOOF Block - Downtown Waterville Historic District - Waterville, WA
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member T0SHEA
N 47° 38.848 W 120° 04.276
10T E 719946 N 5281274
Quick Description: The oldest building in the historic district, this is arguably the most important to the district, as well.
Location: Washington, United States
Date Posted: 6/14/2018 10:32:05 PM
Waymark Code: WMYGW2
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
Views: 1

Long Description:
The Downtown Waterville Historic District encompasses all of one block of Locust Street plus the west end of a second block and a few buildings along North and South Chelan Avenue. In all there are 17 contributing and 2 non contributing buildings in the district. All buildings are of brick, save for the Centennial Feed Building, a single storey wood framed building on the west side of North Chelan. The brick for the district was manufactured locally in brick yards, first established in 1889. The oldest structure in the district, on the northeast corner of Locust Street and Chelan Avenue, is the First National Bank/Kincaid/IOOF Block, constructed in 1891.

The construction of this, the large First National Bank building, caused others to build commercial and retail establishments near to it, rather than on Walnut Street, the centre of earlier construction. This became the anchor around which Waterville's downtown was built. Soon, Waterville's downtown began to stretch west along Locust Street, all buildings built subsequently being of brick construction. Constructed by a single contractor for three separate entities, the First National Bank, entrepreneur James Kincaid (one of the original settlers of Waterville), and the IOOF, the first fraternal organization to be organized in the town. As well as the First National Bank, the building housed the Douglas County Bank, which for several years rented the ground floor of the IOOF's part of the building.

Today the building is home to the Waterville Public Library, an insurance company, a barber shop and at least one more business. The IOOF appears to be defunct.

First National Bank/Kincaid/IOOF Block

Building #1; First National Bank/Kincaid/IOOF Block
Address: 101 North Chelan Avenue
Classification: Contributing
Date of Construction: 1891-1892

Description: Located on the prominent northeast corner of Locust Street and Chelan Avenue, the First National Bank/Kincaid/IOOF Block is a three part commercial structure built of Waterville brick supplied by Mike Eckert and designed in a vernacular style that alludes to both the popular Romanesque Revival and the late Victorian Italianate. The two story structure initially measured 80 feet along the Chelan facade and 75 feet on Locust Street until a rear bay was added sometime in the early 20th century which extended the Chelan Avenue facade by about 30 feet.

History: Construction of this block was "the beginning of making our city compact and substantial," according to news accounts of the day. The three property owners agreed upon a uniform style, scale, and material. The result was a substantial structure unrivalled in size and sophistication for at least a decade. And because construction coincided with (or perhaps was precipitated by) the establishment of a brick yard in the city, the block was Waterville f s first major brick building.

The First National Bank, which was located in the corner bay, was founded earlier in the year by W.R. Ballard, president; R.E. Steiner, Vice President; and W.L. Wilson, cashier. Original directors included A.R. Foote, A.T. Greene, A.L. Rogers, and M.B. Howe. The bank was capitalized at $50,000 and received its first shipment of currency in March. The bank remained in the corner location and rented out the upstairs offices until 1905 when the Masonic Lodge (organized as the Badger Mountain Lodge in 1889) purchased the structure. The Masons had previously met in the neighboring IOOF hall.

The Kincaid Block was constructed by James Kincaid, one of the original settlers who helped plat the town. Kincaid rented both floors to a variety of businesses, including clothing shops, dry goods stores, and a boot and shoe firm. The most notable tenant in the early 20th century was the Alexander Mercantile Company. Fire insurance maps indicate that the upstairs rooms were reserved for the Armory Hall in the early 20th century.

Founded in 1889, the Waterville IOOF chapter is the oldest fraternal organization in Douglas County. The lodge, which had a frame hall at the site, decided to build a brick structure in 1890 and dedicated the completed hall in 1892. The ground floor offices were rented to the Douglas County Bank (see building #7) and the United States Land Office through the first decade of the 20th century. The land office did a booming business and conducted more than 2,700 transactions in 1902 alone.
From the NRHP Registration Form


Photo goes Here

Name of Historic District (as listed on the NRHP): Downtown Waterville Historic District

Link to nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com page with the Historic District: [Web Link]

NRHP Historic District Waymark (Optional): [Web Link]

Address:
101 North Chelan Avenue Waterville, WA United States 98858


How did you determine the building to be a contributing structure?: Narrative found on the internet (Link provided below)

Optional link to narrative or database: [Web Link]

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest NRHP Historic Districts - Contributing Buildings
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.