(Former) Flatonia Post Office - Flatonia TX
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member WalksfarTX
N 29° 41.197 W 097° 06.472
14R E 683079 N 3285558
Quick Description: Built in 1901, by San Antonio architect and builder Pat Redmond. It is the second building in town to serve as Flatonia’s post office. It continued to serve in that capacity from the time it was built until the early 1960s when the post office moved.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 6/7/2018 10:19:53 AM
Waymark Code: WMYEXK
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 0

Long Description:
Texas Historic Site

It is an attached, two-story, two-part commercial block building clad in brick with a rectangular plan and a flat roof.

Pilasters anchor the corners of the façade. On the first floor there is a centered, single-door entrance flanked by a divided light, double hung wood window and a pair of wood, French doors with glazing and panels.

Segmented arched, divided light wood transoms are located above the doors and window. The second story has arched window openings, inside which are rectangular, sash windows. The building has a series of ornamental brick work, including masonry arch trim over the first floor transoms, patterned masonry arches over the second story windows, string courses, patterned masonry panels, and a patterned masonry cornice with corbelling.

An ornamental date plate sits above the cornice, and the building has a fullwidth canopy supported by suspension rods.

Artist: Pat Redmond

Address:
116 E. South Main St Flatonia, TX


Web URL to relevant information: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Logging requirements: Please upload your own personal photos of the building and a piece of art (minimum 1).
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Frieze Art
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.