Hirtenturm - Blankenheim, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Iris & Harry
N 50° 26.294 E 006° 38.968
32U E 333089 N 5589998
Quick Description: Shepherd's tower, first mentioned in 1548, is the only surviving of originally two gates of the older inner ring of the Blankenheim valley fortification
Location: Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
Date Posted: 6/4/2018 6:03:03 AM
Waymark Code: WMYE0X
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member kaschper69
Views: 0

Long Description:
Seite „Hirtenturm“. In: Wikipedia, Die freie Enzyklopädie. Bearbeitungsstand: 21. Mai 2018, 12:31 UTC. URL: (visit link) (Abgerufen: 4. Juni 2018, 12:56 UTC)

Der im Jahr 1548 erstmals genannte Hirtenturm ist das einzige erhaltene von ursprünglich zwei Toren des älteren inneren Berings der Talbefestigung Blankenheims.

Geschichte

Die Talbefestigung Blankenheims bestand aus zwei Beringen: einem inneren, der im 16. Jahrhundert seine erste Erwähnung erfährt, über eine oberste und eine unterste Pforte verfügte, und einem weiter ausgreifenden jüngeren Bering. Über den Umfang des letzteren hinaus hatte sich der Ort noch zu Mitte der ersten Hälfte des 20. Jahrhunderts kaum ausgedehnt. Während die unterste Pforte des älteren Berings wohl im Zuge der Errichtung des ersten Hospitals in den Jahren 1607–1609 in Fortfall geriet und durch das ebenfalls nicht mehr vorhandene Mitteltor (Johanißges Thor) ersetzt wurde, blieb der Portenturm - in neuerer Zeit Hirtenturm genannt - erhalten.

Im Jahr 1919 richtete die Ortsgruppe Blankenheim des Eifelvereins im Hirtenturm ein Heimatmuseum ein. Es blieb dort bis 1945. Bei Ende des Zweiten Weltkriegs gelangten einzelne Exponate an die ursprünglichen Besitzer zurück, andere wurden zum Teil von amerikanischen Besatzungssoldaten als Spielgerät missbraucht, gingen durch Diebstahl oder auf anderen Wegen verloren. 1954 wurde auf Initiative des Kreises Schleiden im Gildehaus ein neues Heimatmuseum des Kreises Schleiden eingerichtet, das heutige Eifelmuseum Blankenheim.

Der Hirtenturm wurde am 18. Mai 1987 als Baudenkmal Nr. 4 in Teil A der Denkmalliste der Gemeinde Blankenheim eingetragen.

Architektur

Der in Grauwackenbruchstein ausgeführte, unverputzte dreigeschossige viereckige Torturm verfügt im Erdgeschoss über spitzbogige Tordurchfahrten, sowie in den Obergeschossen über schmale Schlitze und kleine rechteckige Fenster. Das hohe Walmdach, des ansonsten spärlich ausgestatteten Baus wurde um 1880 neu eingedeckt. Vermutlich wurde bei dieser Erneuerung auch der etwa 1,3 mal 3 m messende Wappenstein über der Tordurchfahrt auf der Außenseite angebracht. Der aus gelbem Sandstein hergestellte und aufwändig gestaltete Wappenstein aus dem Jahr 1512 befand sich ursprünglich wohl an der Burg, nach Vermutung von Herzog an deren Haupttor. Der auf ungleichen Konsolen, deren Fratzenlaubwerk den „Übergang zur Renaissance“ zeigt, stehende Wappenstein, wurde mit Krampen vor dem Mauerwerk angebracht. Seine Fläche ist zur Gänze mit einem heraldisch in hervorragender Weise ausgearbeiteten Wappen derer von Manderscheid-Blankenheim ausgefüllt. Die Ecken sind mit den Einzelwappen der Familien Manderscheid, Blankenheim, Schleiden und Daun besetzt. Oben befindet sich ein Spruchband: (SOLI) DI GLORIA, unten ein Schriftband: ANNO DOMINI MCCCCCXII. Die Platte ist von Rundstäben und Hohlkehlen gerahmt, die oben in eine Blendbogenbekrönung in der Kontur eines Eselsrücken münden und an den Ecken als Astwerk verkröpft sind. Am Turm selbst befindet sich aus konservatorischen Gründen eine Kopie des Wappensteins. Das ursprünglich am Turm angebrachte Original ist am Nebeneingang des Rathauses, an dessen Nordseite, in einer Glasvitrine aufgestellt.
Heutige Nutzung
Im Hirtenturm ist die Naturkundliche Ausstellung untergebracht, die vom Kreisverband Natur- und Umweltschutz (KNU) als Dauerausstellung konzipiert ist. Heimische Vögel, aber auch Stammquerschnitte von verschiedenen Baumarten werden ausgestellt."

EN (Translation):

The shepherd's tower, first mentioned in 1548, is the only surviving of originally two gates of the older inner ring of the Blankenheim valley fortification.

Narrative

Blankenheim's valley fortification consisted of two rings: an inner ring, which was first mentioned in the 16th century, had an upper and a lower gate, and a more extensive younger ring. By the middle of the first half of the 20th century, the place had hardly expanded beyond the scope of the latter. While the lowest gate of the older Bering probably disappeared during the construction of the first hospital in the years 1607-1609 and was replaced by the middle gate (Johanißges Thor), which also no longer existed, the port tower - in more recent times called the shepherd's tower - was preserved.

In 1919 the local group Blankenheim of the Eifelverein established a local history museum in the shepherd's tower. At the end of the Second World War, some exhibits were returned to their original owners, others were misused by American occupying soldiers as play equipment, lost through theft or other means. In 1954, on the initiative of the Schleiden district, a new local history museum of the Schleiden district was established in the Gildehaus, today's Eifelmuseum Blankenheim.

The shepherd's tower was registered on 18 May 1987 as monument no. 4 in part A of the monument list of the municipality Blankenheim.

Architecture

The unrendered three-storey square gate tower in Grauwackenbruchstein has ogival doorways on the ground floor and narrow slots and small rectangular windows on the upper floors. The high hipped roof of the otherwise sparsely equipped building was newly covered around 1880. The coat of arms stone measuring approximately 1.3 by 3 m was probably also placed above the doorway on the outside during this renovation. The elaborately designed coat of arms stone made of yellow sandstone from 1512 was probably originally located at the castle, at its main gate according to Herzog's assumption. The coat of arms stone standing on unequal consoles, whose foliage shows the "transition to the Renaissance", was placed with staples in front of the masonry. Its surface is completely filled with a heraldic coat of arms of those of Manderscheid-Blankenheim. The corners are decorated with the individual coats of arms of the Manderscheid, Blankenheim, Schleiden and Daun families. At the top there is a banner: (SOLI) DI GLORIA, below a writing volume: ANNO DOMINI MCCCCCXII. The plate is framed by round bars and grooves, which lead to a blind arch crowning in the contour of a donkey's back at the top and are cranked at the corners as branches. For conservation reasons, there is a copy of the coat of arms stone on the tower itself. The original, originally attached to the tower, is placed in a glass cabinet at the side entrance of the town hall, on its north side.

Current use

The Shepherd's Tower houses the Natural History Exhibition, which is designed by the District Association for Nature and Environmental Protection (KNU) as a permanent exhibition. Native birds, but also trunk cross-sections of different tree species are exhibited."

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
Wikipedia Url: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To post a visit log to this waymark you need to visit and write about the actual physical location. Any pictures you take at the location would be great, as well.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Wikipedia Entries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.