Catholic Church of the Immaculate Conception - New Madrid, Missouri
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
N 36° 35.254 W 089° 31.726
16S E 273769 N 4052098
Quick Description: This one-story, brown brick building is located at 601 Davis Street in New Madrid, Missouri.
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 4/28/2018 10:48:17 AM
Waymark Code: WMY60V
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 0

Long Description:
This one-story, brown brick building is located at 601 Davis Street. The architect was Maurice Carroll. The front southern facade has a recessed, stepped, rounded arch entryway with a relief carving of the Virgin Mary above the doors. There are a pair of wooden doors with a stained glass insert in each door. There is two sets of open lattice brickwork flanking the doorway. A large enclosed belltower is on the right side of the entryway.

From the Church's website - (visit link) :

"The oldest parish in the diocese has experienced three patron saints and five church buildings. Two were lost to earthquakes, one to flooding, and one to fire. Fr. Pierre Gibault, the "patriot priest of the west," was the first resident priest in New Madrid, arriving in 1789. The first church, built in 1799, was dedicated to St. Isidore, patron of farmers and of Madrid, Spain. In 1811, from December of that year until February of 1812, the great earthquake changed the course of the Mississippi River. All the parish buildings were totally destroyed.

Fr. Gibault died in 1804 and visiting priests were assigned to attend the New Madrid Parish, visiting 3 or 4 times a year. In 1832 there were 60 families in New Madrid. The Sisters of Loretto served a school and monastery in New Madrid for 6 years and again in 1916 for 60 years. In 1837, a wood structure church was built and dedicated to St. John the Baptist. This church and its records were destroyed during Civil War battles. In 1869, a new wooden edifice was dedicated under the title of the Immaculate Conception. In 1878, Fr. James Connolly opened a parochial school, which has been maintained ever since. A new brick church was built in 1911. It served the parish until 1952 when it was condemned and torn down. A new, earthquake-resistant church was constructed and dedicated by Bishop Charles Helmsing, first bishop of the Springfield-Cape Girardeau Diocese on Passion Sunday, 1957. "

Left Cornerstone text:

Maurice
Carroll
Architect

Right Cornerstone text:

Immaculate Conception
Most Reverend
Joseph E. Ritter S.T.D.
Archbishop of St. Louis
Reverend Walter G. Craig
Pastor
1957
Type of Church: Church

Status of Building: Actively in use for worship

Date of organization: 1/1/1789

Date of building construction: 1/1/1957

Associated Shrines, Art, etc.: Grotto Angel dedicated to Linda Spitler

Diocese: Springfield-Cape Girardeau

Address/Location:
601 Davis Street
New Madrid, MO USA
63869


Relvant Web Site: [Web Link]

Dominant Architectural Style: Not listed

Archdiocese: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to this waymark, you must post at least one original photo of the site, give the date and a brief description of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Roman Catholic Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.