Queen's Park Clock - Dresden, Nr Longton, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, England, UK.
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Poole/Freeman
N 52° 58.547 W 002° 08.321
30U E 557835 N 5869923
Quick Description: The clock is located on an elaborate stone clock tower in Queen's Park, Dresden near Longton.
Location: West Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 4/24/2018 9:40:29 AM
Waymark Code: WMY59K
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Outspoken1
Views: 0

Long Description:
The park's official name is Queen's Park but it is also known as Longton Park. The land was given by the Duke of Sutherland, and work began in 1887. The total cost was estimated to be £6000, which was mostly met by voluntary subscription. The park was officially opened on July 25th 1888 by George Granville William Sutherland Levison-Gower, the third Duke of Sutherland.

The park has four entrances, two on Trentham Road and two on Queens Park Avenue. The coordinates given are for the main entrance to the park located on the corner of Trentham Road and Queens Park Avenue.

The elaborate stone clock tower is a central feature of the park and is located 100m south of the Carlisle Street gates. The clock tower was unveiled on 6th June 1892 and refurbished in 1988 to commemorate the centenary of the opening of the park.

The black circular clock faces are edged with gold. They have gold roman numerals, minute marks, hour hands and decorative minute hands.

A photograph of the clock tower (c1900- 1940) can be seen at the following link:
(visit link)

Queen's Park is Grade: II* listed, and is famous for its trees, horticulture and lakes. It has a very individual character and is one of the city's heritage parks.

Historic England describe the park as follows;
"Summary of Garden
A public park of 1887 with lakes, winding tree-lined carriage drives and paths, shrubberies, and much original furniture including a bandstand.

Reasons for Designation
Queen’s Park, Longton, opened in 1888, is designated at Grade II* for the following principal reasons: * Date: the park is a good example of a later Victorian municipal park in an industrial town; * Design: its design is essentially unchanged from its original layout of the 1880s; * Designer: the park was designed and laid out by the Duke of Sutherland’s Land Agent John H Garrett; * Historic interest: the park was the first public pleasure ground in The Potteries; * Structures: the park retains various C19 park structures, many locally manufactured; * Planting: good mature trees survive, with tree-lined paths and drives.

GARDENS AND PLEASURE GROUNDS The park is roughly rectangular, and is c 700m long from north-west to south-east by 300m wide. Its layout has remained virtually unaltered since it was laid out. Three main zones can be identified. The half of the park to the south of the Superintendent's Lodge, essentially the west half of the landscape, is more densely and formally laid out, with an intricate curving network of tree-lined carriage rides and broad paths running between shrubberies and lawns with formal bedding schemes. Iron benches of several different designs are placed at frequent intervals along the paths and drives, at intersections of which are 2m high cast-iron posts; at least two partially retain their 'Carriage Drive' finger signs. These and the benches were supplied by the Longton foundry of Edwards & Jones. Near the centre of this zone is a cast-iron (by Dean & Lowe, of Stoke) octagonal bandstand. East of this, and close to Queen's Park Avenue, are two C20 hard tennis courts. On the east edge of the zone, 100m south of the Carlisle Street gates, is the central feature of the park, an elaborate stone clock tower. North-east of the clock tower, and on the south-east side of the Carlisle Street gates, is a circular, later C20, children's playground with apparatus enclosed within a hedge.

The park was designed and its laying-out supervised by John H Garrett, the Duke of Sutherland's land agent. Some 15,000 trees and shrubs were donated by the Duke of Sutherland and other patrons, and the lakes stocked with coarse fish - fishing was allowed from 1890, and there were boats for hire. In 1889 sixty cast-iron 'Keep off the Grass' notice plates were purchased. The park staff then comprised a uniformed Superintendent, an Assistant, and six labourers. Swings and other children's facilities were a later introduction." SOURCE: (visit link)

Recreational Facilities include;
A bandstand, bowling green and three bowling pavilions, tennis courts, skate park, two football pitches, children's play area- one for toddlers and another for juniors, fitness equipment and a lake with fishing controlled by Fenton and District Anglers.
Status: Working

Display: Mounted

Year built: 6/6/1892

Web link to additional info: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Photo of clock.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Town Clocks
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.