1916 - Old Connellsville High School - Connellsville, Pennsylvania
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member outdoorboy34
N 40° 01.024 W 079° 35.218
17T E 620588 N 4430608
Quick Description: This Cornerstone is located at the Greater Connellsville Community Center (Old High School) 201 East Fairview Aveneue, Connellsville City, Fayette County, Pennsylvania
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Date Posted: 3/9/2018 4:02:13 PM
Waymark Code: WMXWVB
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 0

Long Description:
The Connellsville High School opened at 201 East Fairview Avenue shortly after construction in 1916. The building had 37 Classrooms, 2 Study Halls, Swimming Pool, Gymnasium and other related facilities.
The building was solely for many years as the City of Connellsville's High School until students from South Connellsville and other nearby areas began attending the schools. This change was made official of a Jointure Board in 1951, that due to highway development included the boroughs of Dawson ,South Connellsville, and Vanderbilt along with the outlying townships of Bullskin, Connellsville, Saltlick and Springfield.
All students in grades 10-12 in the above mentioned areas used this location, while students in graded 7, 8, and 9 utilized the Cameron Junior High Building down the street. In 1956 this would change, however as a new $2.8 Million new Joint High School would be ready for occupancy on the eastern fringe of the city.
With the baby boom, the building could not accommodate all three grades. Grades 8 and 9 accommodated the building for some time while Grade 7 Accommodated the Cameron Building with some of the city's elementary children. This would again change in 1966 as the Connellsville Joint School System would then join with the nearby Dunbar Borough and Township School Systems to form the Connellsville Area School District effective July 1, 1966 as part of a Commonwealth Mandate.
The new high school, this building and the nearby Cameron Building served the city until 1970, when a new Senior High School opened adjacent to the Joint High School to serve all new students in grades 10-12. Furthermore Junior High Students who resided to the east of the Youghiogheny in Grades 7, 8, and 9 would attend the former joint high school that became known as Junior High East while students to the west of the Youghiogheny have been attending the former Dunbar Township HS since the jointure. After all this reconfiguration, the building was left vacant for some time.
A few years later, the building became used as the Connellsville Community Center, which now houses a museum of the community's educational history, a fully-restored theater, known as the Edwin S. Porter theater, a well known Connellsville native who made his mark in the arts, along with other defined spaces. The building made its centennial in 2016 and will serve Connellsville for many years to come.
Year of construction: 1916

Cross-listed waymark: [Web Link]

Full inscription:
1916


Visit Instructions:

When logging a visit to a waymark in this category, please provide one or more photos taken by yourself, and note down your impressions and any background information you may have.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Dated Buildings and Cornerstones
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.