L'Église Saint-Julien-et-Sainte-Basilisse, aux deux clochers - Grabels, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YvesProvence
N 43° 38.841 E 003° 47.826
31T E 564283 N 4833015
Quick Description: L'Eglise aux deux clochers de Grabels
Location: Occitanie, France
Date Posted: 2/24/2018 3:32:49 AM
Waymark Code: WMXTAB
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Marine Biologist
Views: 5

Long Description:
FR En 1621, Grabels connu un siège et en mai 1622, les murailles de Grabels furent démolies et son clocher renversé.
Pendant près d'un demi-siècle, la partie sud du village ne fût qu'un amas de ruines. Le porquier, le rempart, le presbytère étaient entièrement démolis, l'église réduite à deux pans de murs latéraux. Le porquier et le rempart ne seront jamais relevés.
Ce n'est qu'en 1666, à partir des murs restés debout, que fût reconstruite la nouvelle église.
En 1826, des travaux importants d'amélioration ont été effectués, comme en témoignent les inscriptions gravées sur des plaques de marbre posées à l'entrée de la nef.
En 1867, un projet d'agrandissement voit le jour, avec prolongement de la nef par une travée supplémentaire, édification d'une façade surmontée d'un clocher monumental et aménagement d'un comble en charpente sur l'ensemble du bâtiment.
En cours de travaux, on ajouta un perron d'accès et des chapelles latérales. Achevée en 1879, l'église a dorénavant deux clochers dominant la place de la Fontaine pour le plus ancien et la place de l'Église pour le plus récent.
Pendant le XXe siècle, grâce au curé Joseph Roucairol, l'église a été dotée d'un orgue bien connu dans les milieux musicaux.
EN In 1621, Grabels experienced a siege and in May 1622 the walls of Grabels were demolished and its steeple reversed. For nearly half a century, the southern part of the village was nothing but a heap of ruins. The porquier, the rampart, the presbytery were entirely demolished, the church reduced to two sides of side walls. The porquier and the rampart will never be raised. It was not until 1666, from the walls that remained standing, that the new church was rebuilt. In 1826, important improvements were made, as evidenced by inscriptions engraved on marble slabs placed at the entrance to the nave. In 1867, an enlargement project was born, with extension of the nave by an additional bay, erection of a facade surmounted by a monumental bell tower and arrangement of a skylight on the entire building. . During the works, an entrance porch and side chapels were added. Completed in 1879, the church now has two steeples overlooking the Place de la Fontaine for the oldest and the Church Square for the most recent. During the twentieth century, thanks to the parish priest Joseph Roucairol, the church was endowed with a well-known organ in the musical circles.


Source (visit link)
Date the Church was built, dedicated or cornerstone laid: 1/1/1622

Age of Church building determined by?: Historical Society

If denomination of Church is not part of the name, please provide it here: Catholic

Street address of Church:
Rue de l'Eglise
Grabels, France
34790


Primary website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

If Church is open to the public, please indicate hours: Not listed

If Church holds a weekly worship service and "all are welcome", please give the day of the week: Not listed

Indicate the time that the primary worship service is held. List only one: Not Listed

Secondary Website for Church or Historic Church Building: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
1) A photo of the church is required for visits to a waymark.

2) Please share some comments about your visit.

3) Additional photos are encouraged. If you can have information in addition to that already provided about this church, please share it with us.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest This Old Church
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Jean Bat' visited L'Église Saint-Julien-et-Sainte-Basilisse, aux deux clochers - Grabels, France 4/21/2018 Jean Bat' visited it