Northside School - Livingston, MT
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member T0SHEA
N 45° 39.841 W 110° 33.847
12T E 533955 N 5056811
Closed many years ago, the old Northside School soon found new life as the Park County Museum, later renamed the Yellowstone Gateway Museum.
Waymark Code: WMXMAM
Location: Montana, United States
Date Posted: 01/28/2018
Published By:Groundspeak Regular Member MountainWoods
Views: 1

Built in 1907 of concrete block simulating rusticated stone, the four room Northside School replaced several smaller wood framed schools scattered about Livingston's north side. Serving as an elementary school until 1971, the building was purchased by the Park County Museum Association in 1976, the Park County Museum opening in the building the next year. Today it is known as the Yellowstone Gateway Museum

Today made easy to find with a dingy red wooden Northern Pacific caboose on the front lawn, the building is filled with artefacts relating to the early days of Livingston. Behind the building is a fenced yard and another building in which are displayed fire trucks, agricultural equipment, wagons, various machines and other large historic items. The museum is open year round, with reduced hours in the winter months.

Expansion of the Northern Pacific Railroad in the early 1900s assured Livingston a bright future, and civic building of this period reflects the high economic and cultural levels achieved by the community. The North Side School, built in 1907 in simplified Renaissance Revival style, is a splendid example of that prosperous era. Built for $12,940 of concrete block simulating rusticated stone, the stately new school replaced an 1892 frame building two blocks distant. Its rusticated finish, quoins accentuating the building’s corners, and a decorative frieze delineating first and second stories are hallmarks of the Renaissance Revival style. Four classrooms and a small library room accommodated grades one through four while the basement featured two playrooms and restroom facilities, boys on one side and girls on the other. Ella Smith was North Side’s principal when the new facility welcomed its first students in the fall of 1908. She and three other teachers managed the four grades. School district policy at this time in Livingston and elsewhere on the western frontier dictated that only single women could be hired as elementary teachers; the local school board finally set that policy aside in 1942. Although North Side was the smallest of Livingston’s three earliest elementary schools, it had served area children for more than sixty years when it closed in 1971. Home of the Park County Museum since 1976, it is appropriate that the classrooms, which saw several generations of Livingston’s children, now house artifacts and memorabilia of local history.
From the NRHP plaque at the building
Photo goes Here Photo goes Here
Photo goes Here Photo goes Here
Photo goes Here Photo goes Here
118 West Chinook Street
Livingston, MT United States

Web Site: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To post a log, you may include a photo of yourself at the former school, or a photo of the school, but it is NOT necessary. Please indicate the number of people who visited the waymark with you.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Former Schools
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.