Baptism Font - St John the Baptist - Tisbury, Wiltshire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 51° 03.686 W 002° 04.861
30U E 564399 N 5657058
12th or 13th century baptism font in St John the Baptist's church, Tisbury.
Waymark Code: WMWWD6
Location: South West England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 10/22/2017
Published By:Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher
Views: 1

12th or 13th century baptism font in St John the Baptist's church, Tisbury. A square stone font on five shafts with 17th century font cover at the west end of the church.

"It is almost certain that there was a Saxon church in Tisbury, as there was an abbey here from the 7th century, until its destruction by the Danes in the 9th century. After this it is again feasible that a Saxon church was built to serve the community and, given the continuity of religious sites, it is probable that it was on the site of the present church. The cruciform Norman church was built between 1180 and 1200 and of this 4 massive piers, the arches of the tower and parts of the transepts remain. The chancel was rebuilt in the late 13th/early 14th century and the font is also 13th century, although it has been recarved and has a 17th century cover. Chantries were founded and the chantry priests lived in a small room above the north porch of the church.

In 1450 the present nave was built with a clerestory and a fine wagon roof. After the Reformation the Arundells, who remained Roman Catholics, lost the patronage of the church. However many families in the area also remained true to the old faith under the protection of the Arundell family and so it is likely that the congregation at St. John's was somewhat reduced. In the 1660s the Jacobean pews and pulpit were built in the church. The church spire was struck by lightning in 1742, and again on 6th January 1762, in freak thunderstorms. On the second occassion the spire fell and destroyed the roof of the north transept and part of the roof of the north aisle. In the rebuilding of the church a second storey was added to the tower in place of the spire, thus reducing the height.

In 1858 the Rev. F.E. Huchinson became vicar and he,and his wife, greatly improved conditions for the villagers, improved the church, built schools and school houses and a new vicarage. It should be said that in return they expected respect and a strict observance of rules. In the church the musicians' gallery was removed and the roof of the Beggar's Porch, the west porch, was lowered. Architectually the latter was a great crime in a porch where there were ancient stone seats on which the poor sat after a service to receive charity.

In the 20th century a range of alterations and improvements were carried out. In 1900 work was carried out on the choir, vestry and sacristy, while in 1927 there was a major rebuilding of the tower, the bells were overhauled and rehung and a new 3 dial clock was installed. The church was rewired in 1972 and a new lighting system installed. A team benefice was created in 1976 with Swallowcliffe, Ansty and Chilmark. In the churchyard there is a yew tree over 1,000 years old and a 13th century cross on an 18th century stem. The parents of Rudyard Kipling are buried here. The parish registers from 1563, other than those in current use, are held in the Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre in Chippenham. "

SOURCE - (visit link)
Approximate Age of Artefact: Not listed

Relevant Website: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please supply an original picture when visiting this waymark.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Stone Church Artefacts
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.