Bassett and Bassett Banking House - Brenham, TX
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member WalksfarTX
N 30° 10.058 W 096° 23.784
14R E 750731 N 3340224
Benjamin and Thomas Bassett opened their newly-created bank in this building soon after its completion in 1873. Built with bricks manufactured by the local Wild & Co. Brickyard, the Italianate structure housed the bank until it closed in 1884.
Waymark Code: WMWVAK
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 10/16/2017
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member saopaulo1
Views: 2

Texas Historic Site Atlas

On the first floor was banking, and on the second, law offices. After the bank closed in 1884, the first floor was used for various commercial purposes.

Benjamin Henry and Thomas Jefferson Bassett, the founders of the bank, were originally from Louisiana. By the mid-1860s, they were well established in Brenham. During the Civil War, Benjamin served as a captain in the Confederate service, and Thomas was a deputy clerk for Washington County.

On January 2, 1858, the Bassett brothers purchased the property for their banking house from Frank Hubert. The Bassett and Bassett Banking House itself was organized in 1866, the same year as the other major Brenham bank of the period, the Giddings and Giddings Bank. These two institutions were privately owned and were unchartered.

222 E. Main Street Brenham, TX USA 77833

Year: November, 1873

Website: [Web Link]

Current Use of Building: Commercial Office Space

Visit Instructions:
Please give your impression about the bank and/or it's architecture. Also please post another photo of the building.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Converted Bank Buildings
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
Raven visited Bassett and Bassett Banking House - Brenham, TX 12/28/2016 Raven visited it