Alberta Stake Tabernacle - 544
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member T0SHEA
N 49° 11.919 W 113° 18.450
12U E 331902 N 5452102
Quick Description: This plaque and plinth were placed in 2006 by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at the northeast corner of the lot on which stands the first LDS Temple in Canada and the first outside the U.S.
Location: Alberta, Canada
Date Posted: 10/13/2017 1:01:30 AM
Waymark Code: WMWTQP
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member PeanutsParents
Views: 4

Long Description:
The bronze plaque, between a pair of benches by the sidewalk, describes the tabernacle which was built immediately southwest of it for the first LDS Stake in Canada, replacing an older meeting hall which had proven inadequate for its purpose. The cornerstone for the tabernacle was laid on August 23, 1908 and completion came about in 1912. It continued to serve the community until 1954, when a new stake centre was built across 3rd Street, to the west of the temple and the tabernacle was carefully de-constructed.

Text from the plaque appears below.

Photo goes Here

Alberta Stake Tabernacle

The Alberta Stake Tabernacle, built on the northeast quadrant of the Cardston Temple Block, then known as Tabernacle Hill, was one of the most beautiful buildings in southern Alberta. Built by the leaders of the Alberta Stake of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which was the first stake organized outside the United States and the first stake in Canada, the tabernacle served not only as a meeting place but as a monument to the sacrifices of the early settlers.

The cornerstone was laid August 23, 1908, with David 0. McKay officiating. This red brick building replaced an old assembly hall that had been built under the direction of Stake President Charles 0. Card to serve as a combined community hall and meeting place.

When Edward James Wood became the Alberta Stake President, he realized that the assembly hall was inadequate in size. He designed the tabernacle with seating for 1,200, including a gallery, curved oak benches, and an elevated pulpit. Behind the pulpit was space for an orchestra and seating for the stake officers. Rising up behind the orchestra were rows of seats for the choir. The organ at the very top provided music for the meetings.

Church members began raising funds for the building at great personal sacrifice, and the tabernacle was finished four years later in 1912. It served primarily as a meetinghouse for large LDS Church conferences, but was also used for educational and cultural events and was made available to other denominations. Hyrum M. Smith dedicated the building on August 5, 1917. Many Latter-day Saint general authorities attended conferences in the tabernacle, including Joseph F. Smith, president of the Church.

The Alberta Stake Tabernacle served the people of southern Alberta for 42 years until a new stake center was built west of the Temple Block. The structure was dismantled in 1954.

2006 No. 544 Cardston Alberta Company

Marker Name: Alberta Stake Tabernacle

Marker Number: 544

Marker Text:
See above


Visit Instructions:
To log a 'visit' for waymarks in this category tell of your visit, any insights, new things you learned, etc... and if possible post photos.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest D.U.P. Historic Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Trail Blaisers visited Alberta Stake Tabernacle - 544 10/19/2018 Trail Blaisers visited it