Phoenix Rising from the Ashes -- Atlanta City Hall, Atlanta GA
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Benchmark Blasterz
N 33° 44.935 W 084° 23.396
16S E 741772 N 3737377
Quick Description: A Phoenix rising from the ashes in the center of the official seal of the City of Atlanta
Location: Georgia, United States
Date Posted: 9/23/2017 11:34:13 AM
Waymark Code: WMWNRP
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 0

Long Description:
The seal of the City of Atlanta which features Phoenix rising from the ashed decorates a beautiful white marble memorial to Fr. Thomas O'Reilly for his actions during the Civil War that saved several churches and city buildings from being burned when the Atlanta was set ablaze by Federal troops.

This memorial monument dedicated to Father O'Reilly stands at the southwest corner of the Atlanta City Hall building in a nicely landscaped bed. The monument reads as follows:

"[seal of the city of Atlanta]

In Memory
of
FATHER THOMAS O'REILLY

Who in November 1864 by his courageous protest to the Federal forces preparing to burn and evacuate the city, saved from the conflagration the following buildings then located in this vicinity: the Atlanta City Hall and Courthouse, the Church of the Immaculate Conception, Saint Phillips Episcopal Church, Trinity Methodist Church, the Second Baptist Church, and the Central Presbyterian Church.

Erected by
The Atlanta Historical Society
The five churches named
and the City of Atlanta
1945"

From the Georgia Bulletin, the newspaper of the Archdiocese of Atlanta: (visit link)

"FATHER THOMAS O'REILLY: ATLANTA'S IRISH CORNERSTONE
By Kevin Martinez

Patriotism, remembrance, faith and community: these are the ideals by which Father Thomas O’Reilly is defined. But they are not only the measure of the man who saved Atlanta’s churches from Gen. Sherman’s torch. They are also the elements that have guided Atlanta as a city and its Irish residents as a group for generations. No other historical moment underscores the Irish contribution to America like the Atlanta military campaign of 1864 and no historical character personifies it better than Father Thomas O’Reilly, the feisty young priest from Drumgora, County Cavan, Ireland.

In 1861 Father O’Reilly arrived in Atlanta to assume the duties of pastor at Immaculate Conception Church. It must have seemed to him like a triumphal victory march. The pastorate was his reward for four years of service as a missionary priest in Georgia. He had served the faithful from Albany to Dalton, building churches in both cities and ministering to smaller congregations at various points in between. No stranger to Atlanta, he had stopped here many times and felt quite comfortable on its streets. Its large Irish population made the city that much more inviting to him and because his health had been permanently damaged by a bout of yellow fever contracted shortly after arriving in the United States, he anticipated a little more rest in the exercise of his priestly duties. But history, however, would make other plans.

The Civil War came to Atlanta in July of 1864. Three major battles were fought outside the city within eight days of each other. Father O’Reilly visited these battlefields numerous times, sometimes riding out alone and sometimes riding with the medical transport wagons sent by Atlanta’s premier surgeon and president of its medical college Dr. Noel D’Alvigny.

The purpose of these grueling and dangerous sojourns was to retrieve the wounded and return them to Atlanta for medical care. As the hospitals began to overflow, Father O’Reilly turned Immaculate Conception Church into a supplemental infirmary. There, fallen men, no longer distinguished as Union or Confederate, lay side-by-side. During this time he became known to the Irish troops serving in the federal forces. Much of the Union Army was made up of recent Irish immigrants who had come to America in search of a better life, but instead found themselves shooting at other Irishmen who had allied themselves with the South.

Sherman’s victorious army entered Atlanta on Sept. 5. His first order was to evacuate the wounded and civilian population of the city. Less than 700 people out of approximately 8,000 were allowed to remain because of the special skills or services they could render. Among them were Father O’Reilly and his friend D’Alvigny. During the occupation Father O’Reilly became friends with most of the Irish troops. He socialized with them, guided them spiritually and helped them find solace in the madness of war. But his stature also grew among the non-Irish, non-Catholic troops as well. They too had seen how he had taken care of their wounded comrades, risking his life and sacrificing his church in order to tend to them. A particular admirer was Gen. Henry Slocum, commander of the Massachusetts 2nd Infantry and a member of Sherman’s staff.

Atlanta had suffered greatly during the war, but when Sherman decided to burn the city, once again Father O’Reilly took action. Unable to see Sherman personally, he approached Slocum. During the meeting he explained that although burning the city was a crime against the people, burning the churches was a sin against heaven. In a voice mixed with both anger and eloquence he demanded that all of Atlanta’s churches be spared, as well as the City Hall and the Court House. He reminded Slocum of the considerable influence he had among the Irish Catholics troops in the federal army and he threatened to use that influence to encourage desertion and mutiny within the ranks. If Sherman did not rescind his order then Father O’Reilly would issue his own order: that of excommunication against any Catholic who carried out such a barbaric and unholy act.

Slocum reported the conversation to Sherman fully expecting the grizzled war veteran’s next order to be the arrest of the 33-year-old upstart cleric. Surprisingly, however, Sherman acquiesced and ordered that guards be posted around the requested structures, which were Immaculate Conception Church, St. Philip’s Episcopal, Second Baptist, Central Presbyterian, and Trinity Methodist as well as the Court House and City Hall. In a rare show of munificence, Sherman also ordered that none of the surrounding buildings in the vicinity be set alight lest the flames should spread. Because of this over 400 buildings were spared from the historic conflagration. After the Union army had left and Atlanta’s residents began to return they found a large part of their city saved and the doors of Immaculate Conception opened yet again, this time as a shelter for those who lost their homes. The reconstruction of Atlanta was about to begin.

Today the Atlanta of 1864 is unrecognizable. As the years pass and the remnants of blue and gray are faded ever lighter by the light of national unity, the depravations of that war have become the stuff of history books and novels. Try though we may to imagine the horrors and uncertainties of a war fought in our own backyards, we thankfully cannot. What we do remember is the first Atlantan who was truly “too busy to hate.” A man whose patriotism led him to look forward in his new land but who always remembered his roots. A man whose faith allowed him to single-handedly prevail against an army and a man who loved his community to such an extent that he weakened his already fragile health to ensure its survival . . . In saving both the temporal and spiritual houses of the city, Atlanta was able to rise quicker from the ashes of war than many other cities and grow into the metropolis that it is today.


Kevin Martinez is a member of the Hibernian Benevolent Society and chairman of the 2004 wreath-laying ceremony honoring Father Thomas O’Reilly. He researched his article on Father O’Reilly at the Atlanta History Center and through correspondence with All Hallows Seminary, Dublin."

The Atlanta City Hall fills an entire city block bounded by Mitchell Street SW, Washington Street SW, Central Avenue SW, and Trinity Avenue SW.

The Atlanta City Hall is just 2 blocks from the GA State Capitol Building, and has been named to the US National Register of Historic Places.

From the National Park Service: (visit link)

"Atlanta City Hall, completed in 1930, is a fine example of a Neo-Gothic government building. The Atlanta City Hall is an 11-story tower set on a four story rectangular base, with pointed arches and uninterrupted piers. The reinforced concrete building has a cream-colored terra cotta veneer covering the entire building. There are white marble balustrades and steps at the Mitchell Street entrance. The lobby and other public spaces have decorative marble wainscoting, walls, and pillars, and ornamented plaster cornices. Prominent local architect G. Lloyd Preacher, who moved to Atlanta from Augusta, Georgia in 1922, designed Atlanta City Hall. Preacher designed many buildings in Atlanta and throughout the Southeast. Among his designs in Atlanta are the Wynne-Claughton (Carnegie) Building, the Pershing Point Apartments/Hotel, the Medical Arts Building, and the McGlawn-Bowan (Standard) Building.

Atlanta's citizens have come here to visit city officials, attend meetings, and other business related to city government since its opening. In 1926 an $8 million bond issue was approved by Atlanta's citizens, of which $1 million was used for the construction of the new City Hall. The City of Atlanta moved its records and offices to the new City Hall in February 1930. Many historic events have taken place in this building. Mayor William B. Hartsfield called upon the legislature to desegregate Atlanta's schools without State intervention, and Maynard Jackson became the first African American elected mayor of any southern city since reconstruction. Three city halls existed in Atlanta prior to this one, the first (1855-1882) being located directly across the street from this building, on the current site of the Georgia State Capitol. The second City Hall was located at Pryor Street and Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive in a building owned by the Atlanta Chamber of Commerce (1882-1911). The third City Hall was located in the U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (1911-1930). The current location was originally the site of a private home and later a girl's high school until the city purchased the land in the 1920s for the site of the future City Hall. The main offices of City Hall remained at this location until March 1989, when a new addition at 55 Trinity Street opened and the 1930 building was closed for renovation work. The City Hall Annex facing Trinity Avenue was completed in March of 1989.

Atlanta City Hall is located at 68 Mitchell St., S.W., at the southeast corner of the intersection of Central Ave. and Mitchell St. . . "
Time Period: Ancient

Approximate Date of Epic Period: 600 BC

Epic Type: Mythical

Exhibit Type: Other

Visit Instructions:
To post a log for this waymark, take a picture of the location and tell at least 'a little' bit about your encounter, impression or experience.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Epic Beings and Creatures
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
Benchmark Blasterz visited Phoenix Rising from the Ashes -- Atlanta City Hall, Atlanta GA 7/31/2017 Benchmark Blasterz visited it