St Mary - Donhead St Mary, Wiltshire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 51° 01.150 W 002° 08.063
30U E 560714 N 5652313
Quick Description: St. Mary's Church was built by the 12th century. The architecture of the church covers the 12th to 13th centuries, with 19th century restoration.
Location: South West England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 9/21/2017 3:31:53 PM
Waymark Code: WMWND9
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member veritas vita
Views: 1

Long Description:
"The church was standing in the 12th century and was small and without aisles. It was called the church of St. Mary in 1291. King Alfred's thirteen year old daughter became the first abbes of Shaftesbury and Alfred dedicated the abbey to the Virgin Mary. This may be how St. Mary's gained its name. The circular font with arcades is from the 12th century church.

The aisles were erected in the early 13th century; the north and south transepts possibly before this. A clerestory was built in the later 13th century. The south porch with its pointed barrel vaulted roof and stone ribs was built in the 14th century. During the 15th century new windows were inserted and the upper stage of the tower was built. The east end of the church was rebuilt in the same century when the transepts were replaced by two bayed chapels. A two story building which stood in 1677 between the tower and the west aisle was demolished c.1752. It may have been the building which was the priest's house and could be entered through a now blocked doorway at the west end of the south aisle. The 18th century west gallery was pulled down in the 19th century when the church was restored. R. W Blackmore gave the money as a bequest and Bloomfield directed the work.

The pulpit is Jacobean with an arabesque design; it has been restored. In the early 20th century the communion table in the church was unusual. It was thought to date from the 17th century and is a 'telescope table' (its top can be drawn out to three times its length).

The east window dates from the 1880s and is dedicated to Richard Blackmore. The north chapel windows were created in the 1860s by Charles Kemp. The interior of the church has stone benches to the sides of the porch. Bats now reside in the porch roof.

The choir stalls, vestry and organ were moved in the 1950s.

The remaining chalice in 1553 consisted of 7oz. 19th century plate included a paten hallmarked 1734. The tower had three bells in 1553. A fourth was added before 1771 when a ring six was created. Most were recast in the later 19th and early 20th century, and all six again in 1951.

Humphrey Wace was rector from 1324 to 1333. The abbess accused him of breaking and entering her barton of Shaftesbury in 1324 and in 1333 Wace accused her of attacking his property in Donhead St. Mary. John Banbury was a chaplain serving in the 1360s to 1380s. He was deprived of his position in 1388 for 'not residing and living a scandalous life'. John Fezzard was deprived in the mid 16th century for rejecting the Acts of Supremacy and of Uniformity. Gorge Pope was rector from 1596 but in 1646/7 was removed in favour of Peter Ince, who had signed 'Concurrent Testimony' in 1648 and was a leader of the Wiltshire Voluntary Association of Puritan Ministers. His nickname was 'praying Ince' as he was said to have excellent practical preaching skills. After the Restoration the deposed Dr. Whitney regained St. Mary's. Ince was not prepared to cease Puritan ministry and lost his living. He continued to preach and for some time was either in gaol or in hiding. He finally took service as a shepherd with Mr. Grove of Ferne. Ince served as chaplain at Ferne House and later became better known as 'the praying shepherd'.

Sunday school was held opposite the village hall in a thatched cottage, now called the old library. There were choir outings to Bournemouth and Christmas parties at the rectory.

In the 18th century and up to c.1850 the curate held a service at the church and also at Charlton chapel. After this there was one curate for each church. The rectory merged with that of St. Andrew to form a joint benefice of the Donheads in 1980."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.