St Edmund and St George - Hethe, Oxfordshire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 51° 57.625 W 001° 08.311
30U E 627899 N 5758271
Quick Description: Church of St Edmund and St George, Hethe.
Location: South East England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 9/3/2017 3:09:51 PM
Waymark Code: WMWGPP
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 1

Long Description:
"A church existed here by the mid-12thc., probably a small two-cell structure with an apse. The present church comprises a square-ended chancel, a clerestoried nave, S and N aisles, a S porch and a W open wooden belfry and spire. In the early 13thc. the apse was replaced by the existing chancel with pilaster buttresses and part of a keeled half-roll string course. The S aisle was added in the 14thc. There was a drastic restoration by G.E. Street in the 19thc. Surviving Romanesque decoration is found in the chancel, in the E wall a re-set stone bearing a beast head, pilaster buttresses at NE and SE corners, and the remains of a string course, and in the S wall a priest’s door and a round-headed window. In the nave W wall is a similar window. The plain tub font may also be Romanesque.

At the time of the Conquest, Hethe was held by the thegn Wulfward the White, who also held Finmere nearby. By 1086, assessed at 8 hides, it belonged to Geoffrey, Bishop of Coutances, whose tenant at Hethe was a certain Roger. By the early 12thc. the manor appears to be the property of the wife of Geoffrey de Clinton, Henry I's chamberlain, of Cassington and Glympton, Oxfordshire. She gave the whole village as a marriage portion to her daughter Lesceline, wife of Norman de Verdun. A church was in existence during the lifetime of Norman de Verdun, who died in 1154, and it was given by his widow to the priory of Augustinian canons at Kenilworth, founded by her father in 1122.

Originally the church was dedicated to St Edmund, but around 1300 on St George’s Day, it was rededicated to St Edmund and St George (VCH).

Hethe belongs to the Shelswell benefice, comprising Cottisford, Finmere, Fringford, Goddington, Hardwick, Hethe, Mixbury, Newton Purcell, Stoke Lyne and Stratton Audley."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
K8)rose visited St Edmund and St George - Hethe, Oxfordshire 2/11/2018 K8)rose visited it