Lake Campbell Lutheran Church
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member MNSearchers
N 44° 12.625 W 096° 53.155
14T E 668895 N 4897417
Quick Description: The Lake Campbell Lutheran Congregation was originally the Medary Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Congregation, Brookings County, Dakota Territory.
Location: South Dakota, United States
Date Posted: 10/23/2006 11:50:57 AM
Waymark Code: WMW67
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member MNSearchers
Views: 26

Long Description:
The congregation, with nineteen charter members, was organized June 13, 1870 at the John Thompson home in Sverdrup Township, Minnehaha County. At that time the early Scandinavian pioneers of the Lutheran faith, living in this part of the country, were requested by the Rev. E. Christenson and the Rev. E. Olson to send a delegation to participate in a service in the Nidaros Norwegian Lutheran Congregation, Minnehaha County. Martin N. Trygstad was then elected as pastor's assistant. His duties were to conduct services for the congregation in the homes. The group of early settlers made use of their freedom to worship God by organizing a congregation and providing religious instruction for their children. The first recorded congregation meeting was held July 9, 1870 to extend a call to Rev. E. Christenson, who became the first pastor. Pastor Christenson lived near Vermillion, and served congregations over a large area. He agreed to serve this new congregation twice a year for a salary of thirty dollars. The early pioneers had a deep concern for holding fast to their Christian Heritage and establishing churches, as evidenced in the written church records. Distances and condition made for difficult travel and ordained pastors were relatively few. The members of the congregation were constantly striving to unite with other groups and congregations to secure adequate and qualified pastoral service. The present Lake Campbell Church building was built in 1890, costing approximately $2000 with members of the congregation providing the labor. The land was donated by Johannes A. Berge, who also became the first custodian. Johannes N. Trygstad was 'Klokker' (song leader). The evergreen trees which adorn the church yard were planted in 1910. In 1924, a balcony was installed and a full basement was added. In 1955 the entrance was enlarged, an overflow room and educational unit were added, and other modernization completed. In 2002, Venneskapshalle (Friendship Hall), kitchen, and bathrooms were added which makes the building handicap accessible. This is a thriving congregation abiding in God's love.
Marker Name: Lake Campbell Lutheran Church

Marker Type: Other

Marker Text: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
A photo of the 'Marker' or 'Plaque' is required to identify the location, plus a picture of the 'Historic Site'. If you do not post a photo your log will be deleted.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest South Dakota Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
MNSearchers visited Lake Campbell Lutheran Church 10/22/2006 MNSearchers visited it

View all visits/logs