Le musée Baroncelli - Saintes Maries de la Mer - France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
N 43° 27.068 E 004° 25.680
31T E 615539 N 4811903
Quick Description: Un ancien hôtel de ville entouré de rue piétonne et transformé en musée. A former town hall surrounded by a pedestrian street and transformed into a museum.
Location: Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, France
Date Posted: 7/3/2017 1:41:23 PM
Waymark Code: WMW310
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 9

Long Description:
Credits : (visit link)

"Le Musée Baroncelli, aujourd'hui fermé, était installé dans l'ancien Hôtel de Ville, aussi prétoire de justice et de paix, construit en 1876 par l'architecte arlésien Véran.
Il succède au premier hôtel de ville édifié en 1655 dont seuls subsistent les médaillons de marbre aux armoiries de France et de Navarre d'une part, des saintes Maries de la mer, d'autre part, sculptés par l'artiste lyonnais Pierre Sibrent, au XVIIème siècle.
Au dessus de l'entrée principale, 3 couleurs : Baroncelli (rouge et blanc), le drapeau de Provence (rouge et jaune) et celui de la Maison d'Anjou (bleu à fleur de Lys et lambel). Un peu plus haut en façade se trouve une original cadran solaire circulaire.
Ce musée était un hommage au marquis Folco de Baroncelli-Javon (1869-1943), personnage emblématique de la Camargue. Lou Marquès, dirigeant du journal félibréen « l'Aïoli » en Avignon, fut un ardent défenseur des coutumes du patrimoine écologique , traditionnel et culturel de la Camargue. Il mena une vie de gardian et milita en faveur de la tolérance. C'est à lui que l'on doit la reconnaissance du pèlerinage gitan par les autorités ecclésiastiques."

"The Baroncelli Museum, now closed, was installed in the former Town Hall, also a court and peace court, built in 1876 by the architect Véran of Arles.
It succeeds the first town hall built in 1655, of which only the medallions of marble with the coat of arms of France and Navarre on the one hand, and the saints Maries of the sea, on the other hand sculpted by the Lyon artist Pierre Sibrent, In the 17th century.
Above the main entrance, 3 colors: Baroncelli (red and white), the flag of Provence (red and yellow) and the one of the House of Anjou (blue with fleur de lys and lambel). A little higher on the front is an original circular sundial.
This museum was a tribute to the Marquis Folco de Baroncelli-Javon (1869-1943), an emblematic character of the Camargue. Lou Marquès, leader of the Félibréen newspaper "l'Aïoli" in Avignon, was an ardent defender of the customs of the ecological, traditional and cultural heritage of the Camargue. He led a life of guardian and militated in favor of tolerance. It is to him that we owe the recognition of the Gypsy pilgrimage by the ecclesiastical authorities. "
Web Address: [Web Link]

Date of construction.: 1/1/1655

Current use of the building.: Museum

Visit Instructions:
If you visit an existing waymark in this category, please include another picture of the subject, as well as any impressions you have of the location.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Flatirons
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
PISA-caching visited Le musée Baroncelli - Saintes Maries de la Mer - France 6/1/2019 PISA-caching visited it
09Naturel visited Le musée Baroncelli - Saintes Maries de la Mer - France 7/24/2015 09Naturel visited it

View all visits/logs