Abbeye de Vauclair 1134 - 2005 - Bouconville-Vauclair, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Iris & Harry
N 49° 27.173 E 003° 44.615
31U E 553892 N 5478067
Quick Description: Historic timeline of Abbeye de Vauclair
Location: Hauts-de-France, France
Date Posted: 6/27/2017 2:42:55 PM
Waymark Code: WMW1KE
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Outspoken1
Views: 3

Long Description:
One of the tables at the entrance to the ruin describes the history using a timeline with fotos and text.

Information from WIKIPEDIA :

Vauclair Abbey. (2016, December 9). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved
19:42, June 27, 2017
, from
"Vauclair or Vauclerc Abbey was a Cistercian abbey founded in 1134 by saint Bernard of Clairvaux at the request of Barthélemy de Jur, bishop of Laon.


It is located in France and was built about fifteen kilometers to the south of Laon in an east-west stretch of the Ailette river valley at the foot of the northern side of the Chemin des Dames, on a site already occupied by a church, in what is now the Bouconville-Vauclair commune. The site was ceded to Bernard with all its rights and dependencies. On 23 May 1134 a group of monks from Clairvaux Abbey, headed by the Englishman, took possession of the new abbey, the fifteenth daughter house of that at Clairvaux. Its east-west orientation led Bernard to name it Vauclair (Vallis clara), reversing the name of the mother abbey (Clara vallis). Supported by gifts from rich families, the abbey quickly prospered and was given several estates and farms.

In 1142, on the initiative of Bernard and Hatton, bishop of Troyes, the abbaye Notre-Dame du Reclus north of Sézanne was made a subsidiary of the abbey at Vauclair. In 1167, at the request of Henry I of Champagne, count palatine of Champagne, Vauclair Abbey sent monks to found the abbaye Notre-Dame de la Charmoye not far from Épernay. The Hundred Years' War and the 16th century French Wars of Religion heavily damaged Vauclair abbey, though it managed to survive until the French Revolution in 1789, when it was finally demolished and sold as "national property". Its geographical location very near to the Chemin des Dames led to what was left of its buildings being almost totally destroyed in 1917 by direct artillery bombardment. Only ruins now remain.

Following excavations[1] in 1966 by a local association led by a young Belgian Jesuit, père René Courtois - who lived in the abbey from 1966 until his death in 2005 - the site was made a monument historique in 1970. The site now also includes an arboretum of apple and pear trees and a medicinal herb garden planned by Courtois and opened in 1976."
Admission fee? (Include URL/link in Long Description to website that gives the current fee): no

Visit Instructions:

At least one good photo you have personally obtained and a brief story of your visit. Any additions or corrections to the information about the Waymark (for instance, have the hours open to the public changed) will be greatly appreciated.

Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Timelines
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.