Kostel Všech svatých / Church of All Saints - Libochovice (North Bohemia)
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Dorcadion Team
N 50° 24.300 E 014° 02.541
33U E 431946 N 5584100
Quick Description: Baroque Church of All Saints (Kostel Všech svatých), erected at the remains of older Gothic church in 1700-1705, is one of Libochovice landmarks and also parish church of local Roman Catholic community.
Location: Ústecký kraj, Czechia
Date Posted: 6/7/2017 7:34:23 AM
Waymark Code: WMVXBV
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 23

Long Description:

Baroque Church of All Saints (Kostel Všech svatých), erected at the remains of older Gothic church in 1700-1705, is one of Libochovice landmarks and also parish church of local Roman Catholic community.

The history of Church of All Saints is nice example of history of Czech lands with many fires and wars which affected fortune of many buildings - so in the reality, Libochovice at the same site existed several churches bearing the same name. The first one, towerless Romanesque wooden church, was built probably before 1292. The next Gothic structure, which was erected in 1382, was destroyed during Hussite wars in 1424. The owner of Libochovice demesne, Jan III. Zajíc of Hazmburk, financed the reconstruction of the church (ca 1450 ?) and later was by his descendants added a new Renaissance belfry (1541). Also this church was affected by fires and after the first one, in 1624, it was immediately renovated. But the next fire in 1661 damaged church so badly, that all attempts to repair it (initiated by a new owner of the demesne countess Ludmila of Sternberk) were unsuccessful and the hired Italian builder called Domenico fled from Bohemia. Heavily damaged Gothic-Renaissance church's structure was extept the tower eventually demolished.

The story of the current Baroque church has begun on May 14, 1700, when master builder Filip Czok laid a cornerstone of a new building designed by architect Jan Jirí Lechleithner from nearby Budyne nad Ohrí. The church, not completely finished, was ceremonially consecrated by Doksany convent provost Bruno Kunovský on November 1, 1705. The works continued till 1709, when construction finished. The belfry, equipped originally by six bells (currently by two - Vavrinec from 1605 and Michael from 1874) was elevated twice - in 1727 and 1892 (new clocks installed). Church was reconstructed also in 1902-1903 and in 1995-2005.

Church of All Saints is E-oriented single nave rectangular structure with side chapels and triagonally enclosed presbytery with buttreses. Prismatic belfry is located at church's north wall and chapel with oratory at the south wall. The main western three axis facade with entrance portal is decorated by pilasters and lesene frames. Nave and presbytery are barrel vaulted with lunnetes. Baroque furniture (wooden altars, pulpit, paintings etc.).

Wikipedia Url: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To post a visit log to this waymark you need to visit and write about the actual physical location. Any pictures you take at the location would be great, as well.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Wikipedia Entries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.