Royal Warwickshire Fusiliers - St Michael - Budbrooke, Warwickshire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 17.263 W 001° 37.362
30U E 593942 N 5793932
Quick Description: A bench at the west end of St Michael's church, Budbrooke, dedicated to the Royal Warwickshire Fusiliers, 1963 - 1968.
Location: West Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 4/30/2017 1:42:42 AM
Waymark Code: WMVKJZ
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member MountainWoods
Views: 0

Long Description:
A bench at the west end of St Michael's church, Budbrooke, dedicated to the Royal Warwickshire Fusiliers, 1963 - 1968.

"Budbrooke Barracks was a military installation near Budbrooke in Warwickshire, England.

The barracks were established as the depot in 1877. Their creation took place as part of the Cardwell Reforms which encouraged the localisation of British military forces. The barracks became the depot for the two battalions of the 6th (1st Warwickshire) Regiment of Foot. Following the Childers Reforms, the regiment evolved to become the Royal Warwickshire Regiment with its depot in the barracks in 1881.

St Michael's Church became the battalion church at that time. Many recruits enlisted at the barracks at the start of the First World War. The barracks were demoted to the status of out-station to the Forester Brigade depot at Glen Parva Barracks in 1958, the last recruits were accepted in March 1960 and the barracks closed later that year. The site has since been developed as the village of Hampton Magna."

SOURCE - (visit link)

"Between 1945 and 1947, the 1st Battalion was deployed to India, then Korea between 1953 and 1954, Cyprus between 1955 and 1959, and then was based in Aden from 1959 to 1960; it was then in Germany from 1962 to 1964. Meanwhile, the 2nd Battalion was in Palestine from 1945 to 1948.

In 1958, the depot in Warwick was closed and the regiment was reduced to a single regular battalion, sharing a depot in Strensall with the three other regiments of the Midland Brigade (renamed the Forester Brigade in 1958). In November 1962, it was announced that the Forester Brigade was to be broken up and the Royal Warwickshire Regiment was promptly transferred to the Fusilier Brigade.

In February of the following year, it was announced that the Queen had approved of the regiment becoming fusiliers and adopting the title of Royal Warwickshire Fusiliers from 1 May 1963. As a fusilier regiment, the Royal Warwicks were entitled to wear a coloured feather hackle in the headdress. The colours chosen by the regiment were royal blue over orange (described as "old gold with a touch of Dutch pink"). The colours were those of the Royal House of Nassau, recalling the regiment's Dutch origins.

On 23 April 1968, the four regiments of the Fusilier Brigade were amalgamated to become a large regiment as the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Where is this bench located?: West end of St Michael's church, Budbrooke

Who is this bench honoring?: Royal Warwickshire Fusiliers, 1st & 7th Battalions

Visit Instructions:
To log this waymark you can take a photo of the entire bench. You may have yourself (Sitting of course) or your GPS in the photo. A photo is not required, but encouraged.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Dedicated Benches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.