Gargoyles - St Laurence - Ansley, Warwickshire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 31.848 W 001° 34.415
30U E 596759 N 5821034
Quick Description: Gargoyles along the south wall of St Laurence's church, Ansley.
Location: West Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 4/23/2017 9:45:43 AM
Waymark Code: WMVHZD
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Norfolk12
Views: 0

Long Description:
3 fairly weathered gargoyles along the south wall of St Laurence's church, Ansley.

"Although not mentioned in the Domesday book, archaeologists tell us that the oldest part of the Church’s stone work is outside on the south side of the chancel under the larger of the two windows. This is thought to date from 1050, which seems likely as Lady Godiva had several other churches founded at this time, and they too are also dedicated to St Laurence. It is thought that these churches were dedicated to St. Laurence because her trusted friend Abbot Laurence commissioned those churches to be built.

In the reign of King John, the Church was given by William de Hardreshulle of Hartshill to the nuns at Polesworth. The patronage of the Church stayed with the nuns until the Reformation, when it was given to the Crown until 1883.

A large part of the south wall of the nave and part of the chancel are 12th century although sections have been rendered. The doorway arches at the south entrance, and on the north wall outside are Norman. "

SOURCE - (visit link)
Water spout is used: no

Condition: Deeply Weathered

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Gargoyles and Chimeras
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.