Organ of the Église Saint Nazaire - Sanary-sur-Mer, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member denben
N 43° 07.083 E 005° 48.084
31T E 727905 N 4777733
Quick Description: Built at the end of the 19th century, l'église Saint Nazaire is a Roman catholic church. It is located Place Michel Pacha in front of the charming port of Sanary-sur-Mer.
Location: Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, France
Date Posted: 4/22/2017 1:48:24 PM
Waymark Code: WMVHRW
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Team GPSaxophone
Views: 5

Long Description:
Ce n’est qu’en 1570, devant l’accroissement de la population que les habitants de Sanary décidèrent de construire leur église sur l’emplacement du prieuré des moines de Saint Victor. Ils la dédient à Saint Nazaire.

A la fin du XIX° S., Marius Michel Pacha, ancien maire et bienfaiteur de la commune décide d’offiri à sa ville natale une nouvelle église.Elle est construite sur les plans de l’architecte Paul Page à l’emplacement de la précédente, ce qui génère une cetaine opposition. Elle est bénie le 31 juillet 1892.

En 2000 débute la restauration des façades, des sols et des vitraux. L’idée naît d’orner les murs et les voûtes de fresques liturgiques d’inspiration chrétienne orthodoxe pour faire écho à l’histoire de son bâtisseur. La municipalité en commande leur réalisation à Jean-Baptiste Garrigou qui utilise la technique « a secco ».

L’orgue de l’ancienne église, un Charles Gazeau du XIX° S. disparut sans doute lors de la démolition. Dans l’église nouvelle, Mader installe et agrandit un petit orgue de John Abbey offert par Camille Saint-Saëns à Michel Pacha. Un siècle plus tard, l’état de l’instrument conduit la ville avec le concours du ministère de la culture à commander la construction d’un nouvel orgue (3 claviers, pédalier - 30 jeux) installé en 2009. Le 24 janvier 2009, les fresques et les nouvelles orgues sont inaugurées en présence de Monseigneur Rey, évêque de Toulon-Fréjus.

---

It was not until 1570 that the population of Sanary decided to build their church on the site of the priory of the monks of Saint Victor. They dedicate it to Saint Nazaire.

At the end of the 19th century, Marius Michel Pacha, former mayor and benefactor of the commune decided to offer his new town a new church. It was built on the plans of the architect Paul Page at the site of the old church, which generates a cave opposition. It was blessed on July 31, 1892.

In 2000 the restoration of the facades, floors and stained-glass windows began. The idea was born to decorate the walls and vaults of liturgical frescoes of Orthodox Christian inspiration to echo the history of its builder. The municipality ordered their realization to Jean-Baptiste Garrigou who uses the technique "a secco".

The organ of the old church, a Charles Gazeau of the XIX ° S. disappeared doubtless during the demolition. In the new church, Mader installed and enlarged a small organ of John Abbey offered by Camille Saint-Saëns to Michel Pacha. A century later, the state of the instrument led the city, with the help of the Ministry of Culture, to commission the construction of a new organ (3 keyboards, pedalboard - 30 stops) installed in 2009. On 24 January 2009, the frescoes and the new organ were inaugurated in the presence of Monsignor Rey, bishop of Toulon-Fréjus.

Source: (visit link)
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Musical Instruments
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
LeBourguignon visited Organ of the Église Saint Nazaire - Sanary-sur-Mer, France 12/24/2017 LeBourguignon visited it