[former] Altes Hallenbad - Neuwied - RLP - Germany
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member CADS11
N 50° 25.740 E 007° 27.680
32U E 390715 N 5587461
Quick Description: Altes Hallenbad in Neuwied
Location: Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
Date Posted: 3/25/2017 9:19:25 AM
Waymark Code: WMVATF
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member GT.US
Views: 2

Long Description:
DE: Städtische Badeanstalt Neuwied
Die Städtische Badeanstalt Neuwied war eine am 22. Juni 1908 eröffnete Badeanstalt im Zentrum Neuwieds. Stifter und Bauherr war der Neuwieder Ehrenbürger Julius Remy (1848–1932). 1985 wurde es wegen Löchern im Schwimmbecken geschlossen. Heute dient das Stadtbad als Bürokomplex und steht unter Denkmalschutz.

Geschichte
Bereits 1826 wurde die erste private Badeanstalt in Neuwied eröffnet. 1847 baute der Schiffsbauer Peter Stein ein Zellenbadehaus am Rhein, das bis 1869 bestand. 1870 entstand in der Nähe der heutigen Goethe-Anlagen ein weiteres Zellenbadhaus mit Schwimmschule.
Nach der Errichtung der Matthiaskirche in Neuwied 1899–1904 wurde die alte katholische Kirche in der oberen Marktstraße abgetragen und an dieser Stelle die Städtische Badeanstalt erbaut. Der Stifter und zum Ehrenbürger ernannte Beigeordnete Julius Remy berief den Architekten Wilhelm Knoppe aus Köln, die Badeanstalt zu planen und zu errichten. Am 11. Mai 1904 wurde dem Neubau der Städtischen Badeanstalt zugestimmt. Die Baukosten waren auf 160.000 Mark veranschlagt, 70.000 Mark kamen von der Stiftung Julius Remy, der Rest sollte durch eine 3,5-prozentige Hypothek bei der Stadtsparkasse aufgebracht werden. Die Baukosten wurden dennoch überschritten und betrugen letztendlich 271.000 Mark.

Eröffnung
Am 22. Juni 1908, einem Sonntag, wurde die Städtische Badeanstalt durch Bürgermeister Dr. Geppert, den Spender und Stadtbeigeordneten Julius Remy sowie den Architekten Wilhelm Knoppe feierlich eröffnet. Für die Neuwieder war es ein "Tag der offenen Tür". Das neue Bad war für die Bevölkerung ein Luxus ungewohnter Art: die große, von Nischen und Emporen aufgelockerte Schwimmhalle, dazu noch Duschen und Wannenbäder. Die Bürger waren begeistert und die Zeitungen berichteten von dem modernen und fast schönsten Bad in ganz Deutschland. Viele Kommunalverwaltungen schickten Abordnungen nach Neuwied, um sich über das moderne Bad zu informieren.
Einen Tag nach der Eröffnung durften die Neuwieder schwimmen und baden. Ein Brausebad kostete damals 15 Pfennige, ein Wannenbad ohne Wäsche 40 Pfennige und Schwimmunterricht 10 Mark.
Samstags und vor Feiertagen war natürlich Hochbetrieb und die Familien wollten gemeinsam Schwimmen gehen: Die Badefrauen, Angestellte der Stadt, führten diejenigen, die zu den Wannenbädern wollten, zuerst in die Kabinen, um sie dort mit Seife zu waschen, bei Bedarf auch zu schrubben, damit sie nicht schmutzig in die Wanne stiegen. Die Badefrauen bekamen dadurch schnell den Spitznamen "die Quartalswäscher".
Im Jahre 1909 gründete sich zur Förderung des Schwimmens der Verein 09-Neuwieder Schwimmverein (NSV). Schauschwimmen und Wettkämpfe machten den Verein in Stadt und Umgebung bekannt. Das Mitglied Hermann Heibel war 1936 Teilnehmer der Olympischen Spiele. 1929 gründete sich ein "Damen-Schwimmverein", der als Damenabteilung dem NSV 09 beitrat. Nach dem Krieg machte sich die Damenabteilung selbstständig und wurde als Nixen durch den Aufbau eines Wasserballetts bekannt. Die Ortstruppe der Lebens-Rettungs-Gesellschaft führte Lehrgänge in der Badeanstalt durch.
Der 1882 durch den Gymnasiasten Georg Kolk gegründete Gymnasial Turn- und Ruderverein Neuwied (GTRVN), der älteste Schüler- und Ruderverein am Rhein und zweitälteste in ganz Deutschland, führte in den Wintermonaten seine Übungen in der Badeanstalt durch, so zum Beispiel, wie man sich bei Bootsunfällen im Wasser verhält.

Renovierung
Nach dem Krieg mussten viele Gebäude der Stadt, darunter auch die Badeanstalt, renoviert werden. 1951 wurde die Schwimmhalle modernisiert, die Heizung von Kohle auf Gas umgestellt und ein moderner Wasserregler für das Schwimmbecken angebracht. Brause und Wannenbäder wurden erneuert sowie die Schwimmhalle und Empore erweitert, damit bei Wettkämpfen bis zu 850 Plätze für Zuschauer zur Verfügung standen. Die renovierte und vergrößerte Badeanstalt konnten nun auch die Wassersportvereine im Winter nutzen.

Schließung
1985 wurde die Badeanstalt wegen eines undichten Schwimmbeckens geschlossen. Überlegungen einer Renovierung zerschlugen sich wegen der Kosten. 1988 wurde die Badeanstalt als Kulturdenkmal ausgewiesen und von 1997-99 entsprechend den Auflagen der Denkmalschutzbehörden saniert.
(https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/St%C3%A4dtische_Badeanstalt_Neuwied)

EN: urban bathing establishment Neuwied
The Städtische Badeanstalt Neuwied was a bathing establishment, opened on 22 June 1908, in the center of Neuwied. The founder and builder was Julius Remy (1848-1932), a new citizen of honor. In 1985 it was closed because of holes in the pool. Today the town baths serve as an office complex and is a protected monument.

story
As early as 1826 the first private bathing establishment in Neuwied was opened. 1847 the ship builder Peter Stein built a cell bath house on the Rhine, which existed until 1869. In 1870 a further cell bath house with swimming school was built near to today's Goethe facilities.
After the construction of the Matthiaskirche in Neuwied 1899-1904, the old Catholic church was removed in the upper Marktstraße and the Städtische Badeanstalt was built here. Julius Remy, the founder and honorary citizen, called the architect Wilhelm Knoppe of Cologne to plan and erect the bathing establishment. On May 11, 1904 the new building of the Städtische Badeanstalt was approved. The construction costs were estimated at 160,000 Marks, 70,000 Marks came from the Foundation Julius Remy, the rest should be raised by a 3.5% mortgage at the Stadtsparkasse. The construction costs were nevertheless exceeded and ultimately amounted to 271,000 Marks.

opening
On 22 June 1908, on a Sunday, the municipal bathing establishment was officially opened by Mayor Dr. Geppert, the donor and city administrator Julius Remy, as well as the architect Wilhelm Knoppe. For the Neuwieder it was an "open day". The new bath was a luxury for the population: the large swimming pool, lobed with niches and galleries, plus showers and tubs. The citizens were enthusiastic and the newspapers reported on the modern and almost most beautiful bath in all of Germany. Many local authorities sent delegations to Neuwied to find out about the modern bathroom.
One day after the opening, the newcomers were allowed to swim and bathe. A shower bath cost 15 pfennige, a bath without laundry 40 pfennigs and swimming lessons 10 Mark.
On Saturdays and in front of public holidays, of course, high-rise and the families wanted to go swimming together: the bathers, employees of the city, first introduced those who wanted to the bath tubs to the washrooms, wash them there, So they did not get dirty in the tub. The bathers quickly got the nickname "the quarter-washer".
In 1909 the association 09-Neuwieder Schwimmverein (NSV) was founded to promote swimming. The club in town and surrounding area was known for swings and races. The member Hermann Heibel participated in the Olympics in 1936. In 1929 a "Damen-Schwimmverein" was established, which joined the NSV 09 as a ladies' department. After the war, the ladies' department became self-employed and became known as mermaids by building a water ballet. The town group of the life-rescue company carried out courses in the bathing establishment.
The Gymnasium Gymnastics and Rowing Association Neuwied (GTRVN), founded in 1882 by the high-school student Georg Kolk, the oldest school and rowing club on the Rhine, and the second-most in all of Germany, carried out his exercises in the bathing establishment during the winter months In case of boat accidents in the water.

renovation
After the war many buildings of the city, including the bathing establishment, had to be renovated. In 1951 the swimming pool was modernized, the heating changed from coal to gas, and a modern water regulator was installed for the swimming pool. Showers and bath tubs were renewed and the swimming pool and gallery were expanded, so that in competitions up to 850 seats for spectators were available. The renovated and enlarged bathing establishment could now also use the water sports clubs in the winter.

closure
In 1985 the bathing establishment was closed due to a leaky swimming pool. Reflections of a renovation have been shattered because of the cost. In 1988, the bathing establishment was designated as a cultural monument and renovated from 1997-99 in accordance with the requirements of the conservation authorities.
Admission Price: 0.00 (listed in local currency)

Daily Hours:
closed


Physical Addess:
Marktstraße 81
Neuwied, RLP Germany
56564


Web Address: [Web Link]

Handicap Accessible: Not Listed

Concession Stand: Not Listed

Season: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
We just want to know that you had fun. Take a picture of something interesting at the pool, a water slide, diving boards, you and some friends having fun in the water. whatever you want. Just let us know you were there.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Public Swimming Pools
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
CADS11 visited [former] Altes Hallenbad - Neuwied - RLP - Germany 11/17/2017 CADS11 visited it