Oswaldkirche, Regensburg - Bavaria / Germany
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Iris & Harry
N 49° 01.294 E 012° 05.463
33U E 287336 N 5433931
Quick Description: The church of St. Oswald is an Evangelical-Lutheran church in Regensburg.
Location: Bayern, Germany
Date Posted: 11/20/2016 3:06:12 AM
Waymark Code: WMTG78
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 3

Long Description:
Source: (visit link) :
"Die Regensburger Patrizier Karl Prager und Friedrich Auer begründeten im späten 13. Jahrhundert die Kirche und ein angeschlossenes Spital. Ihre Wappen sind an den Strebepfeilern der Chornordseite, zu Straßenseite und Donau weithin sichtbar. Nach dem Erlöschen der Prager 1307 übernahmen die Gumprecht die Spitalpflege, die Verwaltung des Spitals. Das „Reiche Spital“ diente zur Versorgung frommer Frauen aus den Familien der Stifter. Das Wappen der Gumprecht befindet sich im Innern der Kirche am Schlussstein im Chorjoch. Nach dem Aussterben der Auer 1483 beanspruchte der Rat der Stadt die Patronatsrechte, die ihm nach jahrzehntelangem Rechtsstreit 1514 zugesprochen wurden. So ging 1537 die Spitalpflege an das wenige Jahre zuvor neu eingerichtete reichsstädtische Almosenamt über. Das Wappen der Stadt befindet sich am Schlussstein im Chorschluss.
Die Kirche wird seit 1553 für den protestantischen Gottesdienst genutzt. Damit ist sie neben der Bruderhauskapelle am heutigen Emmeramsplatz, dem Gotteshaus der zweiten Spitalstiftung, die im späten Mittelalter in rein patrizischer Trägerschaft entstanden war, und der unvollendeten Neupfarrkirche als der eigentlichen Pfarrkirche der seit 1542 evangelischen Reichsstadt, eine der drei evangelischen Kirchen der Stadt bis zum Bau der Dreieinigkeitskirche 1627–1631. Zudem gab es bis 1627 mit dem Dominikanerorden eine umstrittene Doppelnutzung der Dominikanerkirche.
1604 wurde die Kirche zu ihrer heutigen Größe erweitert, mit einer Wendeltreppe im Westen, und die Spitalgebäude entlang des Weißgerbergrabens neu errichtet. Die Erweiterung nimmt im Außenbau den bis zum ersten Langhaus-Strebepfeiler bestehenden mittelalterlichen Bau genau auf: im Bauvolumen, in der Fortführung der Dachgestalt, mit Strebepfeiler und Fensterformen, bis hin zur detaillierten Nachbildung der Maßwerkformen. Damit stellt die Kirche in ihrer heutigen Form ein bemerkenswertes Beispiel nachgotischer Architektur dar. Im Inneren erhielt sie neben den ebenerdig eingebauten Gestühl 1626 eine Emporenanlage mit weiteren Plätzen. Die Kirche diente seit 1610 der auch in Regensburg seit der Frühzeit der Reformation gehaltenen Katechismusgottesdienste, Predigtgottesdienste zu Lehre und Vertiefung von Glaubenswissen, die zuvor in der Neupfarrkirche gehalten worden waren. Im frühen 18. Jahrhundert wurde das Kircheninnere barockisiert, das Chorgewölbe ausgemalt und der Altar unter Verwendung der vorhandenen Bilder mit einem neuen Aufbau versehen. Das Langhaus wurde stuckiert und mit einem reichen Bildprogramm ausgestattet.
1750 wurde eine neue, im Orgelprospekt auf das barocke Kircheninnere abgestimmte Orgel eingebaut. Dafür musste im Westen die obere Empore weichen; die untere wurde erweitert und erhielt ihre geschwungene, in den Raum ausgreifende Form. In dieser Zeit entstand im Winkel zwischen Chor und Langhaus an der Nordseite, der Straßenseite, ein zweites Treppenhaus mit einfacher, gegenläufiger Treppe.
Letzte Baumaßnahmen gab es zu Beginn des 20. Jahrhunderts mit dem Bau einer neuen Vorhalle nach Entwürfen von German Bestelmeyer sowie der Erneuerung des Dachreiters.
In den 1950er und den 1980er Jahren fanden umfangreiche Sanierungen statt, 1953–1955 mit Umbau und bis 1991 mit Wiederherstellung der barocken Orgel."

EN:
"The Regensburg patricians Karl Prager and Friedrich Auer founded the church and an attached hospital in the late 13th century. Their coats of arms are visible on the flanks of the choir side, along the road and the Danube. After the extinction of Prague in 1307, Gumprecht took over the administration of the hospital, the administration of the hospital. The "Reichen Spital" served to provide pious women from the families of the donors. The coat of arms of the Gumprecht is located in the interior of the church at the final stone in the Chorjoch. After the extinction of the Auer in 1483, the Council of the City claimed the patronage rights granted to it in 1514 after a period of ten years. In 1537, for example, hospital care was transferred to the newly estab- lished, richly estab- lished Almosenamt. The coat of arms of the city is at the end of the choir.
The church has been used since 1553 for Protestant worship. In addition to the Bruderhauskapelle at Emmeramsplatz, the Gotteshaus of the second hospital foundation, which had emerged in the late Middle Ages in purely patrician support, and the unfinished Neupfarrkirche as the actual parish church of the Protestant imperial city since 1542, one of the three Protestant churches of the city up to the Construction of the Trinity Church 1627-1631. In addition, there was a controversial dual use of the Dominican church by the Dominican Republic until 1627.
In 1604, the church was expanded to its present size, with a spiral staircase in the west, and the hospital buildings were rebuilt along the Weißgerbergraben. The extension takes in the exterior the construction of the medieval building, which extends up to the first long-house pillar: in the construction volume, in the continuation of the roof design, with strut pillar and window forms, up to the detailed reproduction of the tracery forms. The church, in its present form, is a remarkable example of post-Gothic architecture. Inside the building, in addition to the built-in barns built in 1626, it also housed a gallery with further squares. The church served since 1610 the catechism services, also held in Regensburg since the early Reformation, preaching godly services to the teaching and deepening of faith, which had previously been held in the Neupfarrkirche. In the early 18th century, the interior of the church was baroque, the choir vault was painted, and the altar was provided with a new construction using existing images. The longhouse was stuccoed and equipped with a rich picture program.
In 1750, a new organ, adapted to the baroque interior of the church, was installed. For this the upper gallery had to give way in the west; The lower one was expanded and received its curved form, which extended into space. At this time, the chapel and nave were built on the north side of the street, a second staircase with a simple, opposite staircase.
At the beginning of the twentieth century, last construction measures were taken with the construction of a new porch according to designs by German Bestelmeyer as well as the renewal of the roofing.
In the 1950s and 1980s extensive refurbishments took place, 1953-1955 with reconstruction and until 1991 with restoration of the baroque organ."
Active Church: Yes

School on property: No

Website: [Web Link]

Date Built: Not listed

Service Times: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Take a picture of the Church. A waymarker and/or GPSr is not required to be in the photo. Please tell us about your experience.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Lutheran Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
*Team Krombaer* visited Oswaldkirche, Regensburg - Bavaria / Germany 2/23/2017 *Team Krombaer* visited it