L'église Notre-Dame à Châtel-Montagne, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
N 46° 06.880 E 003° 40.975
31T E 552770 N 5107013
Quick Description: L'église Notre-Dame faisait partie d'un prieuré clunisien du xie siècle. Elle est un joyau de l'art roman. The Notre-Dame church was part of a Cluniac priory of the eleventh century. It is a masterpiece of Romanesque art.
Location: Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes, France
Date Posted: 11/5/2016 2:38:59 PM
Waymark Code: WMTDAD
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member NW_history_buff
Views: 3

Long Description:
"L'église de la Vierge-Marie de Châtel-Montagne a été donnée par Dalmas de Châtel-Montagne vers 1081-1088 à l'abbaye de Cluny. Une copie de l'acte de donation indique la date de fondation du prieuré au 2 mai 1082. Cette donation a été contestée par deux frères de Dalmace. Mais cela n'a pas empêché le pape Urbain II de confirmer la possession du prieuré par l'abbaye de Cluny le 16 mars 1095. Cette donation concerne également la chapelle castrale, ainsi que des biens importants : la donation est conséquente et va permettre la mise en place d'une petite communauté.
Un acte du 21 septembre 1131, Aimery, évêque de Clermont, donne son accord à Pierre le Vénérable, abbé de Cluny, reconnaissant au prieur de Châtel-Montagne de nommer à la cure d'Arfeuilles.

Le prieuré est installé pour trois ou quatre moines (ce qui est attesté en 1270, 1295, et 1354). En 1331, le prieuré passe dans la mense de celui du prieuré féminin Laveine près de Maringues (Puy-de-Dôme), le xive siècle marquant le repli des petits établissements1.
Les visiteurs clunisiens signalent que les bâtiments conventuels sont en mauvais état en 1354, 1386 et 1417.
En 1501, le prieuré de Laveine est réformé par l'abbé de Cluny Jacques d'Amboise. Le prieur a alors cédé tous ses droits à la prieure Gabrielle de Polignac pour gérer le temporel du prieuré.
Il y a encore des moines au prieuré de Châtel-Montagne en 1679. On ne sait pas très bien dans quelles circonstances ils quittèrent le prieuré. Quand des moines étaient présents dans le prieuré, ils célébraient la messe sur le maître-autel situé dans l'abside. Les messes de la paroisse se faisaient sur le maître-autel consacré à saint Genest placé à l'est de la nef. Quand ils quittèrent le prieuré, les offices de la paroisse sont alors transférés sur le maître-autel de l'abside. L'autel consacré à saint Genest a été détruit entre 1698 et 1702." Wikipedia

The Church of the Virgin Mary of Châtel-Montagne was given by Dalmas de Châtel-Montagne to 1081-1088 at the Abbey of Cluny. A copy of the deed of gift shows the priory founding date to May 2, 1082. This donation was challenged by two brothers Dalmace. But this did not prevent Pope Urban II confirmed the possession of the priory by the Cluny abbey 16 March 1095. This donation also concerns the chapel, as well as significant assets: the donation is consistent and will enable the establishment of a small community.
An act of 21 September 1131, Aimery, bishop of Clermont, agrees with Peter the Venerable, Abbot of Cluny, grateful to Châtel-Montagne prior to appoint to the cure of Arfeuilles.

The priory is installed for three or four monks (which is attested in 1270, 1295 and 1354). In 1331, the priory happening in the mense of the female priory Laveine near Maringues (Puy-de-Dôme), marking the fourteenth century the decline of small establishments1.
The Cluny visitors report that the monastery buildings are in poor condition in 1354, 1386 and 1417.
In 1501, the priory of Laveine is reformed by the abbot of Cluny Jacques d'Amboise. The Prior then assigned all of its rights to the prioress Gabrielle de Polignac to manage the time the priory.
There are still monks in Châtel-Montagne priory in 1679. It is not clear under what circumstances they left the priory. When the monks were present in the priory, they celebrated Mass on the altar located in the apse. Masses of the parish were on the high altar dedicated to Saint Genest placed east of the nave. When they left the priory, the offices of the parish are then transferred to the main altar in the apse. The altar dedicated to Saint Genest was destroyed between 1698 and 1702.
Wikipedia Url: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To post a visit log to this waymark you need to visit and write about the actual physical location. Any pictures you take at the location would be great, as well.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Wikipedia Entries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
icaunais visited L'église Notre-Dame à Châtel-Montagne, France 5/3/2015 icaunais visited it