St Lawrence Jewry -- Guildhall Yard, City of London, UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Benchmark Blasterz
N 51° 30.924 W 000° 05.534
30U E 701748 N 5711150
Quick Description: One of the many Baroque Wren Churches on London, St Lawrence Jewry is located at the London Guildhall Yard
Location: London, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 10/29/2016 11:15:53 AM
Waymark Code: WMTBP9
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 1

Long Description:
The Anglican Church of St Lawrence Jewry, the official church of the Lord Mayor of London, began its history as a Roman catholic Church in the 1100s

The church of St Lawrence Jewry stands on the west side of Guildhall Yard in the City of London.

A Roman catholic church dedicated to St Lawrence Jewry was built on this site in the 1100s. St Thomas More is said to have preached here.

In 1539 all Catholic Churches were appropriated by King Henry VIII in the Reformation, and was converted to a Church of England church. The Anglican church of St Lawrence Jewry was destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666, and rebuilt by Christopher Wren between 1670-1687.

The rebuilt church was destroyed again in 1940, this time by German bombs that fell on London during the Blitz. It was rebuilt to Wren's design and reopened in 1957.

From wikipedia: (visit link)

Country: United Kingdom
Denomination: Church of England
Dedication: St Lawrence
Architect(s): Christopher Wren
Style: Baroque
Administration: Diocese ofLondon

St Lawrence Jewry next Guildhall is a Church of England guild church in the City of London on Gresham Street, next to the Guildhall. It was destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666, and rebuilt to the designs of Sir Christopher Wren. It is the official church of the Lord Mayor of London.

Medieval era

The church was originally built in the twelfth century and dedicated to St Lawrence; the weather vane of the present church is in the form of his instrument of martyrdom, the gridiron. The church is near the former medieval Jewish ghetto, which was centred on the street named Old Jewry. From 1280 it was within the advowson of Balliol College, Oxford.

Sir Thomas More preached in the older church on this site.

17th century

In 1618 the church was repaired, and all the windows filled with stained glass paid for by individual donors.

The medieval church was destroyed in the Great Fire of London and rebuilt by Christopher Wren between 1670 and 1687.[6] The parish was united with that of St. Mary Magdalen, Milk Street, which was not rebuilt. The church is entirely faced in stone, with a grand east front, on which four attached Corinthian columns, raised on a basement, support a pediment placed against a high attic.[6]George Godwin, writing in 1839, described the details of this facade as displaying " a purity of feeling almost Grecian", while pointing out that Wren's pediment acts only as a superficial adornment to the wall, rather than, as in Classical architecture, forming an extension of the roof.

Inside, Wren's church has an aisle on the north side only, divided from the nave by Corinthian columns, carrying an entablature that continues around the walls of the main body of the church, where it is supported on pilasters. The ceiling is divided into sunken panels, ornamented with wreaths and branches. The church is 81 feet long and 68 feet wide.

20th century

The church suffered extensive damage during the Blitz on 29 December 1940, and after the war the City of London Corporation agreed to restore it as Balliol College had no funds to do so. It was restored in 1957 by Cecil Brown to Wren's original design. It is no longer a parish church but a guild church, the advowson transferred to the City as its official church.

The church was described by Sir John Betjeman as "very municipal, very splendid." It was designated a Grade I listed building on 4 January 1950.

The church was the burial place of John Tillotson, archbishop of Canterbury; and of merchant Francis Levett, as well as the site of the wedding of his niece Ann Levett, daughter of William Levett, Dean of Bristol and former Principal of Magdalen Hall, Oxford .

The church is used by the New Zealand Society UK, who celebrate Waitangi Day here in February each year."

From the present-day church's website: (visit link)

"A History of the church

There has been a church on the present site since the twelfth century. The first church is thought to have been built in 1136, and was destroyed in the Great Fire of London. The church was one of many re-built by Sir Christopher Wren. Work began in 1670 and was completed in 1677. It was one of Wren's most expensive City Churches.

The name Jewry is a geographical descriptor. Before the great fire of 1666 there were many churches in the City (about 150+) and some had the same saint's name. To distinguish them another title was attached. This is why so many of the City churches have interesting and odd names. The church is located close to a street called Old Jewry. This is where a Jewish community lived from 1066 to 1290. They came to the country with William the Conqueror and were expelled by Edward I. Hence St Lawrence Jewry."
Style: Baroque

Type of building (structure): Large religious building (church, monastery, synagogue...)

Date of origin:: 1687

Architect(s): Sir Christopher Wren

Web site of the object (if exists): [Web Link]

Address:
Guildhall yard London UK


Visit Instructions:
Logging requirements: Please upload your own personal photo of the structure. You or your GPS can be in the picture, but it’s not a requirement.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Baroque Architecture
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
Master Mariner visited St Lawrence Jewry -- Guildhall Yard, City of London, UK 11/3/2016 Master Mariner visited it
Benchmark Blasterz visited St Lawrence Jewry -- Guildhall Yard, City of London, UK 7/26/2016 Benchmark Blasterz visited it

View all visits/logs