Knights of Pythias - Sparta, WI, USA
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member mrjcanger
N 43° 56.673 W 090° 48.659
15T E 675667 N 4868043
Quick Description: Built in 1891, this Italianate designed building was the home of the Knights of Pythias from 1923 to at least 1981.
Location: Wisconsin, United States
Date Posted: 9/20/2016 8:58:31 AM
Waymark Code: WMT3TC
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member The Wild Road
Views: 1

Long Description:
This building was originally built to house the Masons and US Post Office on the second floor and French and Gross Book and Stationary Store on the first floor. The Mason actually built the building in 1891. It was designed by architect N.W. Huntley. In its beginning it housed a variety of Mason groups including: Valley Lodge No 60, Free and Accepted Masons, the Commandery of Knights of Templar, and the Order of the Eastern Star. By 1910, the second floor was exclusively used by Valley Lodge No 60.

The first floor continued to house businesses such as J.C. Mullen Shoe Store (1897-1904), F.French Stationary Store (1897), George Seidel Drug and Book and Stationary Store, and G.F. Lillie Novelty Store (1916). In 1922 the entire first floor became George Seidel Drug Store.

In 1904, the US Post Office moved out of the building and the building was remodeled. In 1923 the Valley Lodge built their new building and soon moved out. In 1923 the Knights of Pythias moved in and made the building their lodge. They remained their until at least 1981.

The building is a contributing building to the Water Street Commercial Historic District on the National Register of Historical Places. Today the building houses an antique store.

For more information on this building go to the following web site:

(visit link)
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Knights of Pythias
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.