All Saints - Nailstone, Leicestershire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 39.619 W 001° 23.004
30U E 609335 N 5835710
Quick Description: All Saints' church, Nailstone.
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 7/10/2016 3:04:34 PM
Waymark Code: WMRMXE
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 1

Long Description:
"All Saints church at Nailstone dates from the 13th & 14th centuries. This large light spacious church has the same characteristics of other Leicestershire churches in having a north aisle which is nearly as large as the nave. Broughton Astley and Thurlaston also have this feature. It has a large 14th C tower and a fine 117 foot broached spire that can be seen for many miles. There were pinnacles at the top of the tower but these were removed for safety reasons. Two can be seen at the base of the tower.
Inside the west arch has a very grand quadruple-chamfered arch which leads into the nave area, the base of the tower is now used as a vestry. The church also has a south aisle, nave, and chancel which is probably the oldest part of the building with its two blocked lancet windows dating from the 13th century. The 14th century north aisle with its four bays is as stated nearly as large as the nave, there is a blocked north doorway, and at the east end a chapel.
The church was partly rebuilt and restored in 1852-53 by Ewan Christian of London. The rainwater heads bear the date of 1852, and these were a common addition by Mr Christian, a fortunate name for a church architect. The work was completed by Messrs Broadbent & Hawley of Leicester and the church was re-opened on 9th June 1853. The main funds for the renovation were donated by Lord Howe who contributed £1,250, the total cost was a round £1,700. The pulpit, wooden communion rails, southern porch probably date from the time as well as the roofs which were all redone.
The organ dates from 1844 and was another gift from Lord Howe. The oak eagle lectern was carved out of a beam from St Mary’s church in Leicester, it was presented to the church in 1885. The medieval font is still present but not now used it probably dates from the 13th century and is now placed on a log as it is missing its base. The Victorian font is by the side near the south doorway.
The church itself with its grand tower and broached spire is a fine building. The church is usually locked but they do have events to raise funds etc and the church will be open on these days as well as others."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.