St Dunstan's Church Gargoyles - Stepney High Street, London, UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner
N 51° 31.010 W 000° 02.521
30U E 705225 N 5711449
Quick Description: The Anglican church of St Dunstan's is located on the east side of Stepney High Street in a large churchyard. The first church was built here in 952 AD with the current church being constructed in the 15th century with later additions.
Location: London, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 2/17/2016 2:32:24 AM
Waymark Code: WMQEKX
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Norfolk12
Views: 1

Long Description:

There is a gargoyle, carved from stone, at each corner of the church tower at roof level. They do not appear to have openings so they probably serve a decorative purpose as opposed to functional.

St Dunstan's is a Grade I listed building with the entry at the Historic England website telling us:

Parish church. Kentish ragstone, rubble and flint, with stone dressings and tiled roof An ancient foundation rebuilt C10; C13 chancel with seven-bay C15 nave and aisles, with battlemented parapets, two-light clerestorey windows and renewed three-light windows. C15 west tower, three stages with battlements, pinnacles and angle buttresses. Beacon tower on south side. North and south porches and hexagonal vestry room at north-cast corner added 1871-72 by Newman and Billing.

Interior: nave north and south aisles rebuilt cl500, when chancel arch-removed. Seven-bay arcades of two-centred arches on quatrefoil piers. C13 sedilia in chancel. Vestry room has open timber roof.

Alterations: extensively restored in 1849 by Benjamin Ferrey; in 1872 by Newman and Billing; by Cutts and Cutts in 1899 and again in 1901-2 following a fire, when the nave roof was rebuilt; in 1949 by C Wontner Smith, following war damage, when the flooring was renewed and the cast end reordered.

Fittings: Anglo-Saxon stone relief panel of the Crucifixion, early C11. Relief of the Annunciation, c1400, over north chancel door. Numerous funerary monuments, C16-C19, including recessed tomb chest to Sir Henry Colet, d.1510, in chancel; Dr John Berry, d1689, bust with in aedicule in north aisle; Benjamin Kenton, d.1800, by Westmacott showing relief of the Good Samaritan between Doric columns, in chancel. East window by Hugh Easton, 1949, depicting the Crucifixion above tableau of blitzed Stepney. Sailors' memorial window, also by Easton in north aisle. Organ by Father Willis, from St. Augustine's, Haggerston, installed in north-west aisle, 1971. Clock retains original working by Thwaites, 1804. Stone, reputedly from Carthage, set into south aisle wall with 1663 inscription.

Water spout is used: no

Condition: Lightly Weathered

Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Gargoyles and Chimeras
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.