The Queen's Chapel of the Savoy - Savoy Hill, London, UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner
N 51° 30.623 W 000° 07.186
30U E 699860 N 5710517
Quick Description: This church, known as The Queen's Chapel of the Savoy, is tucked away in a part of London known as Savoy just south of Strand. Ut was built between 1510 and 1516 with later additions and changes.
Location: London, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 11/25/2015 2:39:07 AM
Waymark Code: WMQ0TK
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Dorcadion Team
Views: 3

Long Description:

The Duchy of Lancaster website (visit link) tells us:

The Queen’s Chapel of the Savoy has a long association with the Duchy of Lancaster.

The Chapel is the last surviving building of a hospital founded by Henry VII for homeless people in 1512. It stands on the area of London known as the Savoy.

The Chapel belongs to Her Majesty The Queen in Her Right as Duke of Lancaster. It is a ‘free’ chapel or ‘peculiar’ not falling within any bishop’s jurisdiction, but remaining firmly within the Church of England.

The Chapel remains an important part of the Savoy Estate, the Duchy of Lancaster’s principal London land holding. It continues to provide spiritual service to the community, as it has done for nearly 500 years.

The Queen’s Chapel of the Savoy is also the chapel of the Royal Victorian Order, an Order of Chivalry within the Sovereign’s personal gift. By The Queen’s appointment, the present Chaplain is also Chaplain of the Order.

The expenses of the Chapel are borne by The Queen in Right of Her Duchy of Lancaster, and collections are donated to charity. Maintenance of this historic building remains the Duchy of Lancaster’s responsibility. Recent work has included the landscaping of the gardens in honour of Her Majesty’s Golden Jubilee, and the restoration of the Chapel ceiling in 1999.

Members of the public are most welcome to attend services in The Queen’s Chapel of the Savoy.

The church is Grade II* listed and the entry at English Heritage (visit link) tells us:

CITY OF WESTMINSTER SAVOY HILL, WC2 73/41 Savoy Chapel (The 24.2.58 Queen's Chapel of the Savoy) G.V. II* Chapel royal. 1510-16,built as part of the Hospital of St John-the-Baptist, Savoy; south wall and bell turret c1830 by Sir Robert Smirke, 1864 restoration by Sidney Smirke; adapted for the Royal Victorian Order 1940 with alterations and additions 1956-57 by A B Knapp-Fisher. Stone rubble with fine ashlar dressings. Aisleless with transepts. Small square tower with simple bell turret with pointed arch openings to south end. 5 bays. 3 light, 4-centred arched windows with drip moulds all restored by S Smirke. Interior has enriched Tudor panelled ceiling. Tudor monuments. Reset C13.to C15 stained glass; etc.

Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
OrientGeo visited The Queen's Chapel of the Savoy - Savoy Hill, London, UK 11/25/2020 OrientGeo visited it
Lynx Humble visited The Queen's Chapel of the Savoy - Savoy Hill, London, UK 4/5/2019 Lynx Humble visited it

View all visits/logs