The Mandelson Inn / Historic Town Center Park - San Juan Capistrano, CA
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
N 33° 30.038 W 117° 39.702
11S E 438537 N 3706984
Quick Description: One of many historical markers in the area.
Location: California, United States
Date Posted: 10/14/2015 5:16:52 PM
Waymark Code: WMPRRQ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member saopaulo1
Views: 2

Long Description:
The plaque says, "On April 19, 1875, Mark Mendelson purchased this land with a wood-frame building for $100 in gold from Manuel and Paula Garcia. Recognizing that San Juan Capistrano was the central point between Santa Ana and San Diego for travelers going by stage coach, he established the Mendelson Inn, later known as the Mendelson Mission Inn. Many would stay overnight to rest or visit the old Mission ruins. Some traveled on to the San Juan Hot Springs, on what is now the Ortega Highway. Rooms at the Inn rented for $1.50 to $3.00 a night.

The Mendelson Inn became a popular hotel and social point for members of California Society. It was the scene of many banquets and balls. For those who came to visit the Forster families or Judge Richard Egan, it was THE place to stay.

Well-known Polish actress, Madame helena Modjeska, would often arrive in her horse and carriage frmo her home in what is now Modjeska Canyon and leave it at the Inn when travelling by train to Los Angeles. The great Mission restorer, Father St. John O'Sullivan, stayed many weeks, under the care of the Mendelsons, while he was recovering from his recurring bouts of tuberculosis. The silent movie producer, D.W. Griffith, actors Mary Pickford and Max Sennet and company stayed there in 1910 when they made the first movie film to be produced in San Juan Capistrano. They were followed by many other movie companies and actors as they enjoyed the good weather and old west scenery.

On the back of the lot were two utility buildings. One houses carbide used to make gas for the interior lights. The other, an old adobe built by the Juaneno Indians, was used for storing fuel oil. Inside the hotel was the haberdashery and a general store that sold clothing. Ed Mendelson, son of Mark Mendelson, was a butcher who cut the meat daily for the hotel guests and customers. There was no refrigeration. Pigs, chickens and other fowl were raised on the property. When one of the periodic floods wiped out bridges on both ends of town, the hotel was a great resource for feeding the stranded villagers.

Three generations of Mendelsons lived in the Mendelson Inn and most of the grand-children were born in the Inn. The last of these generations is Richard Mendelson, son of Ed. He became the Town patriarch in 1995 in recognition of his pioneer family and their many contributions to the community. He was born at the Inn in 1910. His grandmother, Clara, sold the hotel and property to the Archdiocese of Los Angeles in 1931 for $5000. The hotel was torn down in 1932."
Group that erected the marker: Richard Mendelson Family

Address of where the marker is located. Approximate if necessary:
El Camino Real, San Juan Capistrano, CA


URL of a web site with more information about the history mentioned on the sign: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Take a picture of the marker, preferably including yourself or your GPSr in the photo. A very detailed description of your visit may be substituted for a photo. In any case please provide a description of your visit. A description of only "Visited" or "Saw it while on vacation" by anyone other than the person creating the waymark may be deleted by the waymark owner or the category officers.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Signs of History
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
bluesnote visited The Mandelson Inn / Historic Town Center Park - San Juan Capistrano, CA 10/14/2015 bluesnote visited it
Metro2 visited The Mandelson Inn / Historic Town Center Park - San Juan Capistrano, CA 5/3/2013 Metro2 visited it

View all visits/logs