St. Cajetan' sculptural group on Charles Bridge / Sousoší Sv. Kajetána na Karlove moste (Prague)
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Dorcadion Team
N 50° 05.216 E 014° 24.514
33U E 457690 N 5548463
Quick Description: Depicted Baroque sculptural group of St. Cajetan (Sv. Kajetán) is one of 31 historic statues (...or groups) decorating famous Gothic Charles Bridge (Karluv most) in Prague' centre.
Location: Hlavní město Praha, Czechia
Date Posted: 3/9/2015 3:08:53 PM
Waymark Code: WMNG33
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member puczmeloun
Views: 55

Long Description:

Depicted Baroque sculptural group of St. Cajetan (Sv. Kajetán) is one of 31 historic statues (...or groups) decorating famous Gothic Charles Bridge (Karluv most) in Prague' centre.

What makes Charles Bridge a top tourist attraction is the open air sculptural gallery which adorns it. It was created much later than the actual bridge construction, mostly in 1706-1714 in the expectation of the canonisation of John of Nepomuk (Jan Nepomucký). Despite the partial changes the gallery has undergone since its creation, it is still a great reflection of the history of the Czech lands - there are 31 statues and groups of statues in all on the bridge today with approximately 100 figures, among them also prime works of the great men of central European sculpture Matthias B. Braun and Ferdinand M. Brokoff. Since 1965 the precious originals of the statues have been gradually replaced by replicas. In extent and quality this bridge gallery has no equal in Europe.

St. Cajetan' sculptural group is the 12th one on the right looking from the Old Town Bridge Tower. The sandstone sculptural group, work of Ferdinand Maxmilián Brokoff (1709), was donated by the Prague Convent of the Theatines. St. Cajetan, dressed in a regular vestment, is standing in front of a tall triangular obelisk covered with clouds and the heads of angels that symbolizes the Holy Trinity. The heart on the top of the obelisk had wings but they are no longer there. The book that St. Cajetan is holding has the Latin inscription But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matthew 6:33. The cartouche on the pedestal says, in Latin, St. Cajetan the Theatine, the founder of the Order, who lived the life of an apostle. This statue was very important for the further artistic growth of its author, F.M. Brokoff. On this statue, he separated the figure of the saint from the background for the first time, changing the traditional concept of the family workshop.


Saint Cajetan, born as Gaetano dei Conti di Tiene (October 1, 1480 – August 7, 1547), was an Italian Catholic priest and religious reformer, who helped found the Theatines. He founded a bank to help the poor and offer an alternative to usurers (loan sharks). It later became the Bank of Naples.He is recognised as a saint in the Catholic Church, and his feast day is August 7. [wiki]

Associated Religion(s): Roman Catholic

Statue Location: The sculptural group is the 12th one on the right looking from the Old Town Bridge Tower.

Entrance Fee: free

Artist: Ferdinand Maxmilián Brokoff

Website: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Take a picture of the statue. A waymarker and/or GPSr is not required to be in the image but it doesn't hurt.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Statues of Religious Figures
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point