Hooper House - Warsaw, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 16.201 W 093° 23.773
15S E 465341 N 4235848
Moved from its original location, which now is completely under water.
Waymark Code: WMN85G
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 01/17/2015
Published By:Groundspeak Regular Member MountainWoods
Views: 2

County of site: Benton County
Location of marker: Truman Lake Dam visitors center parking area, Warsaw
Marker erected by Corps of Engineers

Marker text:

You are invited to follow the trail to the John Hooper house, located approximately 250 yards from this point. The house was relocated from the original farmstead site near Osceola in 1984. Built by John Hooper in about 1884, the structure is a 1½-story "saddle bag" style home. "Saddle Bag" means that the front two rooms are divided by a chimney and two separate front entrances are located next to each other as shown in the above illustration. The original house was determined eligible for the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. Because of the house's remote location and constant danger of losing the house to fire and vandalism, the house was relocated and reconstructed by the Corps of Engineers in its present location near the Truman Visitors Center.

The house is historically significant because of its unusual roof construction and interior and exterior decorative architectural elements. Two adjoining buildings from the farmstead were also reconstructed -- a summer kitchen and smokehouse. The reconstructed Hooper complex, typical of many early 1900's Ozark farmsteads, provides a focal point for interpreting the region's Ozark culture during the early Twentieth Century.

Web link: [Web Link]

History of Mark:
The US Army Corps of Engineers manages over 100,000 acres of land around Truman Lake. The Kansas City District of the Corps maintains several campgrounds, including an equestrian park with campsites and trails for horseback riders and lake front campgrounds with sand beaches for swimming. There are also 400 acres of land set aside for ATV use. Near the visitor center, the Corps has reconstructed several historic buildings that are open for visitors to tour. The Hooper House was built in 1903 by John Hooper for his wife Molly and their nine children. It was reconstructed in 1984 and is open for self-guided tours. The Osage Valley Heritage Association moved the Concord Schoolhouse from the Town of Quincy to the visitor center. It is typical of Missouri schoolhouses in the 1800's. The Elmore Log Cabin is a replica of a cabin typical of the 1840's or 50's. Both are available for tours and educational programs. The US Army Corps of Engineers also hosts Heritage Days celebrating life a hundred years ago. There are potters, spinners, musicians and civil war re-enactors to delight vacationing families and history enthusiasts. ~ Lake Lubbers

Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.