The Chapel - Pandosy Mission - Kelowna, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member T0SHEA
N 49° 50.979 W 119° 28.059
11U E 322609 N 5524834
Quick Description: This little log chapel, built by the Oblates of Mary Immaculate, was the first building to go up at Pandosy Mission. It was the first Roman Catholic church in the BC interior. It was restored in 1954, 96 years after its construction in 1860.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 9/3/2014 11:57:48 AM
Waymark Code: WMMD6K
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Marine Biologist
Views: 3

Long Description:
The Chapel

The Immaculate Conception Mission Chapel was the first original two story building constructed in 1860.

It is a simple pioneer vernacular dovetailed cedar log structure with a gable roof. The building was constructed by Brother Surel OMI., the carpenter of the group, along with Father Pandosy OMI and Father Richard OMI. The lower floor was used as a Chapel while the upstairs was used as a school and living quarters for the priests.

In 1954 the Chapel was restored by the Oblates of Mary Immaculate, (OMI) and the Father Pandosy Knights of Columbus #2558. The lower logs were restored in 1983 by B.T. lnnerprizes of Barkerville, B.C.
From the Sign at the Building

Immaculate Conception Mission
Founded in 1859 by Father Charles Marie Pandosy, an Oblate Missiomary, to serve the Native Okanagan People, this was the first Roman Catholic Mission in the interior of British Columbia.

Within the Okanagan Valley the mission was the first permanent non-native settlement, site of the first school and place where the first fruit and vine crops were grown.

Restored in 1958. Designated a Provincial Heritage Site in 1983. Operated by the Okanagan Historical Society.
From the Sign at the entrance to the mission

Chapel Chapel
Chapel Chapel
Chapel Chapel

Date the Church was built, dedicated or cornerstone laid: 1/1/1860

Age of Church building determined by?: Historical Society

If denomination of Church is not part of the name, please provide it here: Catholic

If Church is open to the public, please indicate hours: From: 6:00 AM To: 9:00 PM

Street address of Church:
3685 Benvoulin Road
Kelowna, BC Canada
V1W 4M7


Primary website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

If Church holds a weekly worship service and "all are welcome", please give the day of the week: Not listed

Indicate the time that the primary worship service is held. List only one: Not Listed

Secondary Website for Church or Historic Church Building: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
1) A photo of the church is required for visits to a waymark.

2) Please share some comments about your visit.

3) Additional photos are encouraged. If you can have information in addition to that already provided about this church, please share it with us.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest This Old Church
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.