St. James Catholic Church - Vernon, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member T0SHEA
N 50° 15.717 W 119° 15.978
11U E 338472 N 5570213
Quick Description: Eight feet taller than it is long, this Beautiful Catholic church of rusticated concrete block was touted as "one of the handsomest edifices of its kind in the interior" when completed in 1910. It has been in continuous use now for over 100 years.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 8/27/2014 2:53:27 PM
Waymark Code: WMMBN4
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 2

Long Description:
St. James Catholic Church

2607 27th Street

Description of Historic Place
St. James Catholic Church is a substantial concrete Gothic Revival church located on the east side of 27th Street on the East Hill. The church façade is constructed around a central buttressed tower surmounted by a four-sided steeple.

Heritage Value
St. James Catholic Church is valued as a landmark feature on the East Hill. Rising above 27th Street, its scale and form are imposing. Built in 1908-10 at a cost of $14,000, it was described in the Vernon News as 'one of the handsomest edifices of its kind in the interior'. The Gothic Revival style reflects the solemnity and enduring values of the building and reinforces its ecclesiastical purpose. The building is 92 feet in length, 44 feet in width, and 100 feet high, with an elegant steeple surmounting its central tower. The use of rusticated concrete block, dressed to resemble stone, reinforces its air of permanence.

The church is further valued for its fine Gothic Revival architectural details. The central tower is heavily buttressed and supported by castellated parapets. The entry doors and windows are lancet arches. The spacious nave contains eight round concrete arches 30 feet high on two-foot thick concrete Doric pillars. Some of the original oak pews are found in the choir loft. James Barnet (1865-1932), an Australian architect who immigrated to the Okanagan, designed the church. He designed the first Vernon hospital and later designed a Catholic church in Nelson. The contractor for the church was W. R. Megaw.

St. James Catholic Church is also valued for its association with a century of Catholic life in Vernon. Cornelius O’Keefe donated the church site in 1907, when the congregation outgrew an earlier wooden Catholic church built in 1896. O’Keefe was a wealthy rancher and one of the largest landowners in the Okanagan Valley. A group of eighteen Vernon pioneers raised funds for the church. An inscription on the church bell, bought from Savoi, France, in 1902, commemorates them. A sign of their perseverance was the challenge of having to tear down and rebuild the partially constructed church when the original concrete blocks were found defective. The cornerstone was laid in 1908 but the half-constructed church had to be torn down and rebuilt. The contractor was replaced with G. Gwyllt from Calgary, who brought ten workers with him. Several of these workers died in the Okanagan Hotel fire.

Church staff and organizations played a significant role in the life of Vernon. These included the Sisters of St. Ann, the Catholic Women’s League, the Knights of Columbus, and the Catholic Youth Organization. One of the most prominent priests serving the church was Monsignor John Miles, who served from 1944 to 1971. He was notable for caring for English refugee children during WWII, for acting as Chaplain at the Vernon Army Camp, in opening a John Howard House in Vernon, for hosting a radio program, for raising funds for an orphanage in India, for establishing St. James Catholic School, and for bringing the Sisters of St. Ann to teach there.
From the Vernon Heritage Register

St James

Date the Church was built, dedicated or cornerstone laid: 11/1/1908

Age of Church building determined by?: Historical Society

If Church holds a weekly worship service and "all are welcome", please give the day of the week: Sunday

Indicate the time that the primary worship service is held. List only one: 8:30 AM

Street address of Church:
2607 27th Street
Vernon, BC Canada
V1T 4W1


Primary website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

Secondary Website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

If denomination of Church is not part of the name, please provide it here: Not listed

If Church is open to the public, please indicate hours: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
1) A photo of the church is required for visits to a waymark.

2) Please share some comments about your visit.

3) Additional photos are encouraged. If you can have information in addition to that already provided about this church, please share it with us.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest This Old Church
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.