A.F. & A.M. Lodge - Council Grove KS
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Peter and Gloria
N 38° 39.688 W 096° 29.373
14S E 718431 N 4282200
Quick Description: This Victorian House is the A.F. & A.M. Lodge (Masonic Building) on West Main Street near Wood Street in Council Grove, Kansas.
Location: Kansas, United States
Date Posted: 6/3/2014 6:48:27 PM
Waymark Code: WMKWN3
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member sfwife
Views: 0

Long Description:
This two-story Richardson Romanesque building was built in 1883 by the Masons using bricks that were made in the local kiln. The building was dedicated on June 24, 1884 and the second floor has been used continuously by the Masonic Lodge since 1884.
This is a Contributing Building to NRHP Council Grove Downtown Historic District.
~ from the NRHP nomination narrative (visit link) ~
It is listed as building #38 in this non-searchable document.

Description: The Masonic Building is a two-story red brick building with corbelled brackets on a prominent parapet that conceals a gabled roof. Arched stone surrounds at the five upper-story windows form an arcade. The building is delineated from the adjacent buildings by stone quoining. Upper windows are 1/1 double-hung with arched upper sashes. The storefront retains its original stone columns, but is infilled with replacement windows, doors and plywood kickplate that date to a 1985 remodel. A massive mansard canopy, which stretches west to the adjacent building, covers the transom. The rear facade has stucco parging. There is a one-story block bay with shed roof located on rear facade. The storefront was replaced by the Masons in 1929 and removed in the 1970s. The building was remodeled again in 1985 when 106 and 108 were combined into a single business. The 1985 remodel included a one-story rear addition.

History: The Masonic Building was built in 1883, and dedicated on June 24, 1884. The Masonic Hall was located on the second floor and later expanded into the adjacent building to the west. The first floor was originally a dry goods and grocery store named D.C. Web Dry Goods, Boots & Shoes. By 1922 and into the 1950s the ground floor was occupied by a restaurant, followed by Western Auto and Blim's. The storefront was replaced in 1929 by the Masons and again in the 1970s. In 1985 Gale's Specialty Shop, located to the west, expanded to incorporate this space and replaced the storefront. Both buildings are currently serving Rerun Consignments.

Integrity: This building retains a high degree of architectural integrity, including 1/1 windows with arched transoms and corbelling. Although the storefront was remodeled in the 1980s, it retains its historic proportions. It is a classified as a contributor.
Public/Private: Private

Year Built: 1883

Web Address: [Web Link]

Tours Available?: Not listed

Visit Instructions:

Category Visiting Requirements

An original photo is necessary to log a visit in this category along with a description of the visit. No extra visit requirements are allowed by the waymarker.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Victorian Style Architecture
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Peter and Gloria visited A.F. & A.M. Lodge - Council Grove KS 3/12/2011 Peter and Gloria visited it