L. S. Good House - Wheeling, West Virginia
Posted by: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
N 40° 03.965 W 080° 43.077
17T E 524052 N 4435129
Quick Description: Historic house in Wheeling, West Virginia.
Location: West Virginia, United States
Date Posted: 1/21/2014 9:30:06 PM
Waymark Code: WMJZG6
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member veritas vita
Views: 1

Long Description:

The L. S. Good House or Good Mansion is a historic home located in Wheeling, Ohio County, West Virginia. It was built in 1904 and was placed in the National Register singularly on November 28, 1988 and as part of the East Wheeling Historic District on November 22, 1999.

Lippmann Gut was born in Gailingen on the border of Switzerland and Germany in 1855 to German speaking Jewish parents. He immigrated to America in 1873 at the age of eighteen. He arrived in Galveston, Texas with no possessions or funds. Shortly after arriving he changed his name to Lee Samuel Good to sound more native. He moved to Wheeling (it is claimed he walked the entire length) and opened a business selling imported and domestic dry goods, oils, fabrics and carpets. His store was located on Main Street in the Cotton Building but moved further down Main Street after the turn of the century.
He built his new house on 14th Street in 1904 at a cost of $7,000[2] in the midst of his new fortune. Good employed Millard F. Giesey, a Wheeling architect to construct his lavish residence. Giesey had already established his name in Wheeling in the later years of the 19th Century with architect Edward B. Franzheim and constructed a wide variety of buildings and homes stretching across a wide portion of West Virginia.

The home was completed in 1905 and Good spent another 22 years in residence until his death in 1927. During those years he would entertain his employees with parties at his home and donated freely though anonymously as he wanted the donations to be discreet. Wheeling Park received most of his charity and its twin man-made lakes are credited to Good's funding. When Good died nearly every store in Wheeling closed for his funeral out of respect for the prominent city leader.

The house passed to one of Good's sons, Samuel Lee Good, who continued his fathers charity work and served on the Wheeling Park Commission from 1933 to 1972. Another son, Sidney, directed his fathers business. Samuel lived in the house until 1920.

The house is currently owned by Dominick Cerrone, who operates Good Mansion Wines out of the historic home.

The Good Mansion is a three-story Classical Revival style brick townhouse. It features a full-width porch with pairs and clusters of fluted wooden columns on sandstone plinths. The third story facade has an engaged Ionic order brick colonnade. It has a sumptuous interior.

- Wikipedia

The house is very well maintained and is in excellent condition.

Wikipedia Url: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To post a visit log to this waymark you need to visit and write about the actual physical location. Any pictures you take at the location would be great, as well.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Wikipedia Entries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.