McCammon Railroad Center ~ 560
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member brwhiz
N 42° 39.033 W 112° 11.558
12T E 402240 N 4722699
Quick Description: This historical marker, erected by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers, is located at the northwest corner of McCammon's town park.
Location: Idaho, United States
Date Posted: 12/11/2013 9:05:50 PM
Waymark Code: WMJP6D
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member JacobBarlow
Views: 3

Long Description:
McCammon Railroad Center

The development of McCammon was closely associated with the transportation industry. William Murphy, in early 1863, built the first toll bridge, and McCammon became the nucleus for the Overland Stage Lines. H. O. Harkness acquired the toll bridge after the death of William Murphy. In 1881, Utah Northern Railroad purchased the right-of-way and named the rail station for U.S. Assistant Attorney General J. K. McCammon, who had negotiated a peace agreement with the Shoshone and Bannock Tribes in 1867. In 1881, Union Pacific Railroad constructed a line from McCammon northward to the mining country of Montana. Postal service began in 1883. The first frame building, built in 1885, had two rooms with a platform on three sides. John J. Schwing was the first telegraph operator and station agent. The depot became a focal point for business and social life of the growing community. Immigrant pioneers found work freighting, farming, and ranching. McCammon became a railroad junction in 1882, joining the Oregon Short Line and Utah Northern Railroads. "Junction City" as McCammon was frequently called, became the chief dispatch center. With increased business, a larger station was built by John Hood, Harry Skinner, Henry and Albert Lish, Albert Henson, Joel Lewis, John Hallen, George Gittins Sr. and Jr., and Edwin and Eddie Gittins. The new depot was divided into thirds: A waiting room for passengers with a round coal stove for heat; a center room was an office and contained the telegraph and ticket window; the north end stored mail bags, express packages, and a large safe for money. The door leading from the waiting room was locked and barred. The south end was the freight room where large and heavy freight was kept under lock and key. The local hotel and businesses accommodated travelers' needs. U.S. Mail was received and dispatched three times daily. A modern depot was erected in 1900, adding larger rooms and customer amenities. The building now serves as McCammon's City Hall. The old depot building was moved west of the tracks and used as a freight house.

2010 · · · No. 560 · · · Sacajawea Camp DUP

Marker Name: McCammon Railroad Center

Marker Number: 560

Marker Text:
See Long Description


Visit Instructions:
To log a 'visit' for waymarks in this category tell of your visit, any insights, new things you learned, etc... and if possible post photos.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest D.U.P. Historic Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.