St Anne's - Sutton Bonington, Nottinghamshire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 49.235 W 001° 14.900
30U E 618036 N 5853749
Quick Description: Located off the Main Street, at the top end of St Anne's Lane, and near to the Midland Main Line which was constructed past the village in 1840. Sutton Bonington's village hall & library is situated on the lane opposite.
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 9/26/2013 12:17:21 PM
Waymark Code: WMJ57T
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Dorcadion Team
Views: 1

Long Description:
"Sutton Bonington has two medieval churches, a result of the merging of the two original villages (Sutton and Bonington); they are St. Michael's Church (Bonington's church, located on Main Street) and the smaller St. Anne's Church (Sutton's church).

The two ancient ecclesiastical parishes of Sutton and Bonington were united for civil purposes in 1829 and combined in 1923 into one ecclesiastical parish (with one rector appointed from 1950). St. Anne's Rectory is now a private house and recently new housing has been built in the former rectory gardens, adjacent to the rear of the church. Related to the situation of the two original parishes, Sutton and Bonington are separate manors, named after their churches — St. Anne and St. Michael respectively.

A notable feature inside is a 15th-century alabaster effigy of a knight set in a recess."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.