MotorCities NHA - Irish Hills, MI
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member bruce-e
N 42° 03.360 W 084° 13.300
16T E 729902 N 4659729
Quick Description: Historic Walker Tavern in the Irish Hills
Location: Michigan, United States
Date Posted: 7/10/2013 10:21:29 PM
Waymark Code: WMHH4X
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Raine
Views: 2

Long Description:
It was built as a modest farmhouse around 1832 by an unknown architect in the style of Federal architecture. It was built at the important intersection of the former Chicago Road (U.S Route 12) and the Monroe Pike (M-50). Its namesake comes from Sylvester and Lucy Walker, who purchased and converted the structure into a tavern in 1843. In addition to a tavern, it also served as an inn for travelers from Monroe en route from Detroit to Chicago?—?a stagecoach trip that once took five days. Famous guests included Daniel Webster and James Fenimore Cooper. The structure served a variety of purposes, including a meeting place for religious and political gatherings. In 1921, Frederic Hewitt purchased the tavern and converted it into a museum. In 1965, the Walker Tavern underwent several alterations during a restoration process. The structure was incorporated into the Cambridge Junction Historic State Park and continues to serve as a museum and venue for various events.
Address:
13220 M 50
Brooklyn, MI USA
49230


NPS Web Page for this Station: [Web Link]

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest NPS Passport Cancellation Stations
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
bruce-e visited MotorCities NHA - Irish Hills, MI 6/2/2013 bruce-e visited it